LOSING CONFIDENCE IN USAA - MORTGAGE AND HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE

Highlighted
Contributor

As a 25+ year USAA member and someone who admittedly has been a real USAA fan, I never thought I would be in a position to share such disappointing experiences.  Over the recent years I have increasingly experienced poor customer service, and I can't help but wonder about the cause.  

The most recent example relates to a completely bungled mortgage process, where USAA fumbled the interest rate lock -- confirming to me that my loan had been locked at a particular rate but then later having to confess that they apparently did not lock it until later...so that it was locked at a higher rate.  You would think it would be an easy fix - you demonstrate honesty and integrity and do what you said you would do.  Although they finally got to that point, it was an incredibly long and painful process where they made it clear to me that they MIGHT NOT HONOR THEIR PROMISE.  This was a complete earth-shattering moment for me, to realize that I could not trust USAA on such things as basis integrity.

Because the process became so bungled, I finally was forced to do something I had never imagined that  I would do.  I had to go to another lender and line up alternate financing, because I simply had lost confidence in USAA and honestly did not know if I could rely on them.  

There were many twists and turns to this unfortunate tale, most of which involved some simple issue getting confused and screwed up and someone at USAA telling me what would corrective action would be taken...but then learning that there was never any follow throuhg.  Each of these hipped away at my confidence in USAA.  

Most recently, after I set up my new homeowner's insurance policy with a loss payee clause in favor of the alternate lender (and after I had explained to USAA that I may use the other lender), USAA changed my homeowner's insurance policy to remove the other lender and insert USAA as the loss payee.  They did this unilaterally, without any communication to me and without my knowledge or authorization.  And this was not the first time such unilateral, unauthorized changes had been made by USAA to my accounts in recent weeks.

i am incredibly disappointed, and I sense that there has been a cultural shift at USAA that I suspect takes it's tone from the leadership.  I genuinely fear that USAA is losing or has lost the knowledge and understanding of what it means to serve.

1 REPLY

Highlighted

Dear 109283,

I would like to start my response by apologizing. I can understand your disappointment and although I cannot change what has happened in the past, I would like to make sure something like this does not happen again (to you or other members). We value your 25 year membership and would really appreciate the chance to try to make things right. If you wouldn't mind, could you please send us a message here with the best way to contact you so we can get a qualified expert to review everything that has happened with you? Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, because of feedback like yours, we can make USAA better, and make sure we continue to serve our members to the best of our ability. We look forward to hearing from you.