Is a licensed roof contractor required for the roof to be eligible for insurance?

Regular Contributor

The other day, my wife and I received a quote of $52K to install a new roof on our house. The contractor has done some marvelous work for us in the past, but he is not a licensed roof contractor.

We are concerned about insurance, after the roof has been installed. Since the contractor isn't licensed, would USAA pay for any repairs that might have to be done?

Roy in New Mexico

5 REPLIES

Hi there, Roy (aka @Arcturus). Typically, we would recommend a licensed contractor because they are most often bonded and insured for these kinds of errors, which takes the burden off of their clients (aka our members). However, as far as roof eligibility, it would still be insured under your policy. Although typically, a homeowners policy would exclude faulty, negligent, inadequate or defective repair, remodeling, or workmanship. Please, let me know if I can be of further assistance. :) ~ Steven

Thanks for the quick reply, Steven.

We are still talking to contractors, and will let you know what we learn.

Roy and Jean

You are most welcome, @Arcturus! We appreciate you reaching out and sharing this with us. Please, let us know if we can be of any further assistance. ~ Steven

Highlighted

Hi, Steven,

As a matter of fact, we do have another issue to discuss.

Next week, the chimney cleaners will be here to inspect and clean our two chimneys. However, we haven't used the fireplace in the bedroom for two years, so we don't feel that it needs an inspection or cleaning. The cleaning company says it should be inspected anyway, because there might be cracks on the inside of the chimney.

Also, we are considering installing a gas heater in the fireplace, and the cleaners said we should definitely have the fireplace inspected before we do that, because if anything happens while the heater is running, our insurance might not pay anything, because the fireplace wasn't inspected before installation. However, we think they might be using that explanation as an excuse to charge us more.

What do you think?

Thanks again,

Roy and Jean

Hello @Arcturus, The National Fire Protection Association Standard states that chimneys, fireplaces and vents should be inspected at least once a year. I would stay on the safe side and recommend that you have the inspection to insure the fireplace is sound, free from deposits, and clear. Please remember to keep all the paperwork and documents you receive as well. It's never a bad idea to research the company your working with and check that they're insured and bonded and that have a good rating and positive reviews. Thank you for being members and have an amazing day! ~ Shane