Highlighted
David_customer
Occasional Contributor

Please let me share about my situation so the impact my USAA experience has had on me is clear.

I am a father raising my 2-year-old, my brain is usually mushy recently from heavily studying for my LSAT exam, and I just had multiple issues in my house recently. I have been a USAA member for 9 years. I've had homeowners insurance with USAA for 6 years without any house related claims. Now that I have one issue clearly covered by my USAA policy concerning drywall damage from a pipe in the wall. I get nothing but unprofessional treatment and disrespect and a whole lot more stress piled on me.

My first adjuster was cordial and kind. But then I get a new second adjuster by the name of Mark who calls me and after beginning a recorded phone call, he starts railing me with questions about every aspect of the claim. I am not a plumber or drywall guy so I have to paraphrase what I've been told. This was not pleasant but then it became really uncomfortable. Because he shared how he's contacted third parties and that he had additional private information concerning me which I know was unrelated to my USAA claim.  I felt violated and that his conduct was unprofessional so I called USAA directly to complain.

Instead of being transferred to someone who would be cordial, I was transferred to a Juan R. who was standoff-ish and said concerning my terrible experience, "we have the right to investigate you". Why am I being investigated on clearly covered damage by my policy?! He also spouted additional statements of fact concerning legal terms as if he's an attorney. Having another unpleasant interaction, I asked to be transferred to someone else, anyone else, in his department and he told me no... among other things. This treatment is shameful.

In my house, I have Two walls (and one ceiling) along the stairs that are completely ripped bare after the water damage mitigation company made access for a plumber and aired out the water in the wall. The exposed nails and sharp metal is a danger to my son and to my household if anyone stumbles, and I have to put up with this treatment and this massive delay on my claim?!

I am posting this here in hopes that maybe someone from Corporate will see this and address these customer service issues properly so others don't go through what I am going through with this division of the company.

Also, because of this, I am leaving USAA for homeowners insurance, I'm not sure if I'll stay banking with USAA yet. At the very least BBB, JD power, and others are gonna hear about my experience and anyone else that will listen.

3 REPLIES

@David_customer Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your claim concerns. I have escalated this to a subject matter expert to review. They will be following up with you in the next 1 to 2 business days.

Your adjuster J. xxxx had the audacity to deny my claim with the excuse of "misrepresentation". Our claim clearly covered our loss and I did not misrepresent any facts. I am starting the process of suing your company for this TODAY. Years and not one single claim on my house. Then when I have CLEARLY covered damage which is not my fault, the home builder using the wrong kind of adapter on an HVAC condensate drain/water softener purge adapter which due to acidity from condensate drain line eating through the cooper for over years, your company denies a clearly covered claim by my long-running policy. Any goodwill and trust I kept toward your company after being contacted by someone from corporate in Texas, is gone. The actions of your adjusters show you are a shameful disgusting company.

Moderators note: Post has been edited due to Member Community posting guidelines

Again, horrible service by USAA CIC.

I got an attorney involved to respond, and USAA Corporate customer service rep made a couple of comments on my claim then disappeared and left me with the original adjuster who made a fallacious decision in denying my claim in the first place. Whom, surprise surprise, denied my appeal for the same reason even with additional compelling evidence and clarity showing he shouldn't have denied my claim. For clarity for any reader here are all the facts, besides the horrible back and forth phone calls I wrote about earlier.

1. My washing machine leaked on the laundry floor a puddle of water.
  2. Went through AHS online to have them inspect and fix my washing machine leak since they cover washing machines.
  3. I called USAA to find out if my house would have been covered if the washing machine situation had been a lot worse, they said yes however I found out I had a very large deductible I don't remember selecting so I asked them to change it to something more reasonable. After I asked to change my deductible, the lady on the phone said she'll transfer me, but before she does she's going to take down what I said about the washing machine (she ninja made a claim even though I wasn't calling to start a claim)
  4. Through AHS a plumber comes out, doesn't find an issue with washing machine (found out later was unbalanced, and that was the cause for the puddle) but he pulled out this infrared camera and found water inside the wall coming from something inside the wall (not the washing machine).
  5. I immediately called USAA to make a claim this time for precisely what the plumber found with his IR camera, this person was pleasant as well the later assigned adjuster follow up call, which I referenced in my first post above.
  6. By the plumber's recommendation, I got a water mitigation company involved to get him access (they removed the drywall) so he can find whatever was leaking in the wall.
  7. The plumber fixes the issue after water mitigation company tore up my walls, the leak inside the wall was an improper fitting made by the homebuilder. The homebuilder put a copper adapter to join the water softener discharge line and the furnace condensation drain line above the drain pipe. The adapter looked over tightened to the stud, but the plumber said regardless the water from the furnace condensation drain line is acidic and so it eats through copper over time. The builders were not supposed to do this, and this was the cause of the leak inside the wall. NOT to be confused with the washing machine leak, the plumber expressed the in-wall leak would never have been enough to cause a massive puddle under the washing machine.
  8. USAA adjuster 2 calls me and harrases me and starts drilling me about my AHS policy and other things unrelated to what the plumber found with his IR camera.
  9. I call USAA to complain about that phone call, to get a 3rd extremely rude person, then I make the original post above, then someone for USAA corporate calls me to apologize and explains everything to me in a nice way. 
  10. USAA denied the claim for misrepresentation. The final (4th?) adjuster refused to clarify EXACTLY what he was considering misrepresentation. I needed to know exactly the cause of his decision to be able to defend myself because I did not misrepresent anything. 
  11. I got an attorney involved to draft a legal response, and the same adjuster denied my appeal. In the adjuster's appeal response, he suggested I try to get coverage through the first claim they have on file. He was referring to the one which the lady on the phone decided, who was taking notes of my washing machine incident, to turn that phone call into a claim.

Look at all the facts above. The phone lady should have never turned my inquiry and washing machine incident into a claim because it didn't concern them, they don't even cover washing machines. And after all this, the adjuster still denies my appeal and suggests I go through an illegitimate earlier (I didn't authorize or specifically call to make that one) claim with a higher deductible. That basically tells me, that the adjuster saw merit in my appeal, yet would rather save 15 hundred bucks than honor my claim so he's gonna stick to his guns on his original decision. 

USAA, you should assign an entirely new fresh set of eyes to my claim, this is absolutely ridiculous.

Going to court over this is going to be detrimentally expensive compared to the claim amount your adjuster is denying, and following the adjuster's suggestion of using the ninja claim your phone rep made would still leave an invalid misrepresentation mark on me that I'd have to disclose to any new insurance company. I have given every opportunity I can think of to try before taking this to court, please take the opportunity to resolve this before it goes that far.