Hurricane Irma Emergency Evacuation - Verify

DaSouthernBelle
Contributor
Can this FB post be verified?? Is this information true? Please advise.

🛑ATTENTION🛑: USAA members
If your zone is evacuated and you have homeowners or renters insurance through USAA, call them (1-800-531-8722) and let them know. They will pay for your gas, food and hotel to evacuate. It's called prohibited usage for emergencies under renters/owners insurance. They will cover lodging for up to two weeks.

USAA verified this information and added that members should check and make sure that they have this coverage on their policies. They also added that it must be a mandatory evacuation order which they believe covers Florida.

Please copy and paste the status to share with your friends.

Most Helpful
DaSouthernBelle, Homeowners and renters policies can vary state-to-state, we recommend you review what’s covered in your policy or visit USAA’s mobile app, USAA.com or call 1-800-531-USAA (8722) for questions you may have.  Thanks, Mike

11 REPLIES

DaSouthernBelle, Homeowners and renters policies can vary state-to-state, we recommend you review what’s covered in your policy or visit USAA’s mobile app, USAA.com or call 1-800-531-USAA (8722) for questions you may have.  Thanks, Mike

Had the same question
USAA has done a great job so far in St Petersburg, FL in regards to hurricane Irma. We had to evacuate and house was without electricity for six days. When I contacted USAA they said a claims adjuster would be contacting us and he did within 24 hours and scheduled a visit to assess damage to our property. Once we verified the length of the power outage I contacted USAA about the loss of the contents of our refrigerator and freezer. She walked us through the various questions and quoted how much reimbursement would be and that it would be deposited in my account, which it was the next day. Thank you USAA.

SteveGuess, I am glad to hear that you are safe after the hurricane came through. It is great to hear that we were able to help you with your claims so quickly. Thank you for your membership with USAA. ~James

P.S. We are putting together receipts for the evacuation so that we can be reimbursed for evacuating; gas, meals, and hotel.

Be very careful.  I evacuated and my expenses were refused because my block was not in a MANDATORY zone.  With a hurricane #5 level was bearing down in Miami I left as any sane individual would do.  USAA totally let me down.  What used to be a great company is just a stingy business now.  I thought paying the higher premiums meant something.  Now I just feel like a sucker. On top of all that the adjuster who came out asked that I compile a list of expenses.  The adjuster was cool, I think the people behind the desks and on earphones are only looking out for the bottom line.  SUCH A SHAME.  

I just called and was told they don’t pay for hotel and gas in evacuation. Can someone tell me who is correct here??
If they looked up your policy, then you must not have coverage or have that coverage available where you are.
They will not cover evac costs until there has been verified damage in the immediate area. They have their sources and they’ll confirm with them and decide if they’ll cover your costs. It’s on you to decide if you want to risk the hurricane, or the potential costs of evacuating with no damage to your property. 😬 very frustrating and misleading benefit for all of the high premiums we pay!!!!