Highlighted
mhfmIndiana
Contributor
We have been USAA members for over 20 years... sad to say we just started getting quotes from Allstate and State Farm.<br>Our last homeowners claim was bungled so badly... took weeks to get an adjuster out, we were accused of LYING (the contracted adjuster claimed he had tried to contact us several times, with us not responding. USAA decided to believe him until I asked to email my phone records), and we were told to go ahead and send it $570 of dry cleaning (clothing covered in mold)... then denied the claim. Our USAA adjuster would ONLY use secure messaging and wouldn’t return calls, so far too much was lost in translation.<br>Considering we had $6,000 in losses and damages, and ended up with a $470 payment, it wasn’t worth filing, as our rates will just go up, and the experience was awful. We were treated like “just a number”.<br>It’s the job of the folks who work in the insurance department of USAA to be educators, as well as adjusters... explain the process to your clients. Keep them solidly abreast of the steps, the possibility they may fall short of coverage, and offer sage advice as to whether or not they should spend precious money prior to 100% knowing if the insurance claim will follow through.<br>Fortunately, all of this was through that silly secure message, so the unhelpful and cold exchanges are saved... proof USAA doesn’t see customer service as a priority.

4 REPLIES

Never had ANY issues with them, but after years of service - I recently had a claim... I'll have to see how it goes. So far they have been VERY polite and professional. If it doesn't go well, I'm sure I will be back here crying about it, shrug... I used to be a USN CPO and we're "NOT" known for our patience or forbearance!

Polite? You should see the post I made of why I'm leaving USAA.

Everything may go well up until after your first phone contact with a USAA adjuster.

In my case, service went way south when a 2nd adjuster contacted me.

People really ought to start getting legal on these issues where their policy says they are covered.

Get the FTC involved, attornies, file additional complaints with BBB, JD Power, etc

After spending some time reviewing the threads on this forum,

it's clear to me they are not going to change their adjuster quality of service without considerable government/court pressure. It's a simple comparative cost analysis... are the legal fees and fines and investigations and customer exodus worth the few perceived savings in denying or delaying a claim that's covered?

Best to just leave USAA and never look back.

Contracted adjusters present a problem for any insurance company... they typiclly get paid by the claim so the faster they process the claim the better.  What I've never been able to discern is whether they are also incentivized to minimize the payout.  Either way, USAA has historically been very responsive to my claims - even when they bolo the initial estimate.  It is, however, necessary to push the issue up-chain.  Suggest taking it to their claims manager / department manager.  Be patient. Be persisitent.  Be professional.