Customer Service and Communication- Really gone down hill

Highlighted
Contributor

I have been a member for 27 years and really am really disappointed that USAA does not represent themselves the way its portrayed in all the advertising and other media. 

Do you think that if they didnt spend millions on sporting events we would still be able to write a simple message? I just had the worst experience with a claims rep and I cannot simply write anyone about it. 

After 27 long years we will be moving all 4 cars, 4 homes and multiple bank accounts to other service providers! 

Very unfortunate this company has sold out...

9 REPLIES

Highlighted

@FedUpInOregon Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your concerns.I have escalated this to a subject matter expert to review further. They will be following up with you in the next 2 to 3 business days

Highlighted

I am in TOTAL agreement with FedUpInOregon; I'm fed up here in California!  If you're driving down the street next to parked cars, and a driver in one of the parked cars opens their driver door and you collide with it, whose fault would you say it is?  I had a similiar situation, except I was passing a stopped car on the right and the passenger opened the door and I collided with it.  But guess what, my USAA Adjuster, who I thought would be looking out for me, states I'm 100% liable for the accident. 

I then sent her the following excerpt from the California Vehicle Code, "...California Vehicle Code [removed sensitive data] states: “No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless it is reasonably safe to do so and can be done without interfering with the movement of such traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers..." .  She then told me before making her decision, she had checked the California Drivers Handbook, which would not contain this information and refused to rescind her decision.  I asked the claim be esclated to the next level which she did, but it seems she "closed" the claim so that I cannot continue to submit written information.

I've been a member since 1994 (26 years) and I've never had an experience with USAA like this before.  Also this is not my first accident; when it's been my fault, I had no problem accepting liability (that's what insurance is for); but when it's not (as in this case), I will fight to the bitter end.  As a Marine and then a Navy Chaplain, that is one of the biggest things my father instilled in me; stand up when you're right and accept responsibility when you're wrong.

I'm hoping I won't have to resort to legal action to rectify this matter, but I'm prepared to.  It just doesn't make sense, based on the law, that I could be found liable for this accident.  

Highlighted

@ 99PercentConvert Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your concerns. I have escalated this to a subject matter expert to review further. They will be following up with you in the next 2 to 3 business days 

Highlighted

As an update to my original post, my concern was escalated and seemed to finally reach someone who not only looked at the facts surrounding my case, but also used common sense, which it seems in this day and age, is sorely lacking.  The decision charging me as 100% liable was turned around and I was found not responsible for the accident.

It's really a shame however, that I had to go to such lengths to obtain "justice".  USAA really needs to take a look at their "first line" claims representatives and better train them.  My initial rep stated she went to the California Driver's Handbook to obtain information that led to her decision, instead of looking at the California Vehicle Codes.  A special thanks to Rusty for listening to me and elevating my claim and thank you to USAA for finally supporting your insured. 

Highlighted

@99PercentConvert I am so glad we were able to resolve this matter for. I have forwarded your feedback to our claims department regarding your experience. Thank you for trusting USAA. . 

Highlighted

Interesting Story and Thank you for sharing. 

In my scenario I would need to be burglarized or get in a car wreck for coverage. NOW my case is being sent to USAA legal to determine what a collision means. Of course the claims adjuster pushed it out the door for review in California not Oregon which I had to correct. 

She frankly has not listened from the beginning which is how we have arrived at me here writing in community forums. 

Really , Really disappointing.  

Highlighted

My feelings the same.  A member since 1988.  Your right,about feelings of frustrations.  I recently left as well.  I trusted USSA, to take care of my best interests. As I have researearched other insurance I have found that I can find for half the price, and amount coverages much higher.  I wonder about all the other members overpaying for service, to how much extra monies, and like your comment inferred, where are the monies going.  I really feel violated.

Highlighted

Where did you take your insurance business? Thank you. 

Highlighted

I absolutely agree. I can't stand the lack of customer service with USAA. I call in for help and it has taken up to 45 minutes to have my phone call answered. I had a credit card stolen while I was stationed in Germany. I had to call into USAA with my cell phone. Waited 45 minutes, had them hang up on me. Had to call back and wait another 45 minutes. It was one expensive call. Now they have suddenly stopped recognizing my cell phone number as a cell phone and won't text security codes to it. I can't even authenticate myself now to talk to them. I have spent months trying to get them to fix this. They call me back a few times to tell me they are working on it and then cease all contact with me. They never fix the issue. So now I am leaving them for good. I have been a loyal customer since the 90s. That loyalty has not been returned. Their commericals about doing the right thing and "that's how you do it" is a complete farce.