Highlighted
Contributor

I've got a bit of a dilemma and I'm curious if anyone else has run into this. I'm working with a developer to build a new house and they've asked me for a commitment letter from my lender in order to move forward and get a sales contract.

USAA says they don't issue commitment letters, only pre-qualfications, or they can give me an approval with conditions. However, in order to get that, I need a sales contract. My USAA loan officer seems competent but doesn't really seem able to get past this, either, and he said he's asked and the requirement for a commitment letter is "unusual". However, my research shows that commitment letters don't seem to be that odd - what seems odd is that USAA won't give one.

So, I need a sales contract to get approval, and I need approval to get the contract. Any ideas on how to break this stalemate? I've even tried calling the developer's lender to try to omve things forward but I'm not getting anywhere. 

3 REPLIES

Highlighted

nightgyr,

Thank you for your inquiry. I will be reaching out for additional information and status of the letter request. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. ~Thank you. Celeste

Highlighted

Since it's been two days and I haven't heard a single word on this topic since you were looking into it, I'm going to assume USAA can't help me with my mortgage needs. This is the second time I've had problems with mortgages through USAA through no fault of my own. As a result, I've chosen to find another lender and will notify my loan officer next week. 

Highlighted

Thank you for your reply, nightgyr. We're disappointed to see that you have decided to take your business elsewhere. I understand this situation is important to you, and I regret the frustration it has caused. I will share your concerns with our mortgage team to ensure your feedback is further reviewed. -Meredith