Highlighted
Lt Col
Contributor

Here we go again!!!!  Just received my homeowners premium for 2018/2019.  It is another double digit increase (18.41%).  Here are my rate increases since 2012:

2012: 25%

2013: 25%

2014: 25%

2015: 14.85%

2016: 4.57%

2017: 4.60%

2018: 18.41%

We have never had a claim since we built our home.  When you call to question, the best answer they can give is claims have gone up in your area.  I wish I had these types of pay increases at work or from my retired pay.    USAA is not the company it used to be.   Tuesday it is time to look for other options.  I suspect most USAA members are not looking at their rate increases.  If so, many more would be switching.  So now, USAA is running the risk of of losing a low risk customer.  When they lose the low risk, the only thing that can happen is to raise the rates of those that are left.

28 REPLIES

Hello @Lt Col, I'm sorry for the experience you've had with your homeowners policy premium. Our rates are based on the probability of future losses. When our estimated future losses and claims settlement expenses for specific exposures increase more than expected, we raise rates to bring premiums in line with the losses we'll pay. Based on our most recent review, we took an overall rate change in your state to maintain continued financial strength. Please know, that USAA increases rates only when needed, and we're committed to providing all of our policyholders with exceptional service while maintaining the financial strength of the entire association. We're constantly reviewing rates and when we're able to, we lower them. Please send us a private message if you'd like to review your policy and discuss options that can possibly help reduce your premium. We recommend reviewing your homeowners characteristics and other possible coverage changes. If you prefer, you can review your policy any time online to make sure that the home characteristics are accurate and the coverage limits are your preferred selections. -Lori

I to got a surprise, my policy increased almost $200 (25%) this year. I live in southwest Virginia and do not understand the reason for the increase basd on claims from this area. I have been with USAA for over 40 years and now must seek quotes from other sources.

@F4-F111lwso, I certainly understand your concern regarding the premium for your homeowner's policy. So that I may assist you further, please turn on the private messaging feature. To do this, please click on your user ID in member community. Click on My Settings > Select Private Messenger tab > Click on the box that says "Turn on private messages." This will allow us to communicate and keep your information private. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you! ~ Stacy

I feel your pain. I'm in SW Virginia too and have had 7%, 10%, & 10% increases in homeowners in the last 3 years and similar increases in auto. Same house, same vehicles, no claims. Been with USAA for 33+ years and I'm sad to say it's time to reevaluate the "value" of the relationship. I'm sure, given our low risk and no claims, other companies will be happy to have us. Sad......it appears a once great company is losing their mojo.

@Troutnturkey Thank you so much for over 30 years of membership! That is incredible to read and we greatly appreciate your loyalty and trust. I'm sad to hear that you experienced increases as well. Please, send over a PM (private message) so we can get started with a review of your homeowners & auto insurance policies to search out any available opportunities for savings!

To opt into private messaging, select your profile name at the top right of the screen and select "My Settings."  At the top of your screen, go to "Private Messenger" and "Turn on Private Messages."  After this, you can select your name again from the top right of the screen and select the envelope icon to view and send your own private messages. I look forward to hearing from you! :) ~ Steven

Ours increase each year, but this year it's over $300.00 and have never filed a claim. I live in Idaho, ZERO natural disasters. I'm looking for another insurance provider and banking institition. USAA, you have lost another customer.

I just went to an Independent Insurance guy in Manassas and saved $1000 off my USAA 2019/2020 insurance on my house. USAA , after 45 minutes of blowing smoke at me, only would cut my bill $80  and only after lowering my coverage a lot. USAA is screwing us old members, after 40 yrs it stinks. They are no different than Flo or the Gecko, sign up anybody now, used to be officers only.

@Yooper_Man, I'm sad to read of your disappointment. I have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate area for review. ~Danielle

I have been with USAA for 53 years. Each year I pay the premiums on 4 homes and 4 vehicles. Have not looked at competitive bids in the past but will look the next renewal in 2020. Checked money sent to USAA with no change in coverage over last 4 years. I feel like a fool.
Each renewal, I would receive a renewal quote and I would immediately pay the amount and this would happen prior to the invoice being generated. They seem to have gone to a monthly payment plan. This may explain why their claim experience has gone south.