Supplements for Tricare in retirement

Supplements for Tricare in retirement

AFChappy's avatarAFChappyNew Member

Do you have any suggestions for buying a supplement for tricare in retirement?

Re: Supplements for Tricare in retirement

Richard Zacke's avatarRichard ZackeNew Member

I am curious what you mean by supplementing your Tricare?  If you are a retiree you have access to Tricare Prime if you are within a certin distance to a military base.  If you are not close then you have to choose between two Tricare programs both of which have a maximum annual deductible of $3,000.  You will be hard pressed to fine a health insurance company that has a maximum $3,000 deductible that is as cheap as Tricare Standard.  Also, I highly recommend you have ALL of your medical records reviewed by a DAV rep at your local or regional VA office and get your disability claim started ASAP.  

One way to supplement your Tricare is to use the VA.  Depending on your disbaility status and income levels you may qualify for treatment at a VA facility which carries either  no co-pays or very small co-pays.  The best thing to do at this point is contact a DAV rep for your area as they are there to make your post service life much easier.

COgal's avatarCOgalOccasional Visitor

AFChappy - regarding your question - my answer refers to when you have TRICARE Standard.

There are many companies that offer supplemental policies to TRICARE Standard.  I have TRICARE Standard and I use MOAA Mediplus for my supplement.  The link is http://www.moaainsurance.com/personal-insurance/mediplus-tricare-supplement.  They have very small deductibles and very small monthly payments, depending on your financial status and family situation, meaning you choose the policy based on the size of your family and deductible based on what you want to pay monthly.  Most companies are like this.  They pick up what TRICARE does not pay, meaning you no longer are responsible for the 20% that TRICARE Standard will not pay.  I got a supplement because I saw my medical bills increase significantly after retirement and I started fixing all the things wrong that I did not have time for while on active duty.  Please let me know if I can answer anything else.

Enabled@55's avatarEnabled@55New Member

Spot-on response to the question asked.  Good job!

Old_Bill's avatarOld_BillOccasional Visitor

You can't go wrong with the Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) TRICARE Supplement, MediPlus, which is underwritten by The Hartford.. I've had it since before I retired from Active Duty in 1995 and have had nothing but excellent results. MOAA claims are electronically initiated when the TRICARE claim processes. They pay the 15% over what TRICARE authorizes for a provider who opts to not acceptTRICARE assignment; however, TRICARE participation is requried by the provider. Once the deductables are met, MediPlus pays all copays...medical and pharmacy.

greg bnks's avatargreg bnksNew Member

I've had Tricare Standard with MOAA Supplement since retiring in 1993 and it saved my bacon when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer.   Richard's reply requires clarification.  There's a $3000 annual catastropic cap on your expenses -- the most you will pay annually.  The Tricare deductible is $300, (for me/single now) with a $150 MOAA deductible. So you may pay $450 out of pocket before MOAA covers your co-pay.  MOAA only covers Tricare allowable expenses, basically the 20% co-pay after meeting your deductibles, and only after Tricare approves the claim.  My premiums are something like $55/month (old guy).  So annually I pay $672 for MOAA and worse case another $450 if I've had medical services.  But I've been generally healthy so I probably should not have had the insurance since most years I do not reach my deductible when MOAA starts to pay in.

With MOAA, you'll pay $1k a year or up to $3k max if things go south.  The numbers change of course if you have family members. Give MOAA a call and discuss it (if you get their insurance, you must also  join MOAA at $35/yr). 

Also by the way, MOAA is not yet connected to prescription drug sources like Express Scripts so you will need to submit RX claims to them directly (if you've met your deductibles and want a refund).

ChazzsPrattUSAA's avatarChazzsPrattUSAACommunity Manager

You may wish to check into this based on where you live. Each State has rules, regulations, and laws governing Supplements for Tricare in retirement. 

Also, here's a link to some information by Tricare on this topic: http://www.tricare.mil/GettingCare/Claims/OHI/SuppInsurance.aspx?sc_database=web

Hopefully, the questions on their website will help you make an informed decision. Looks like they listed 20 questions that might be helpful. Lots of things to consider for sure! 

WhizzerB2's avatarWhizzerB2Visitor

I retired 1995 and was in either Tricare Prime or Standard until 2000 when I turned 60. All that all y'all (that's South for plural "you") have said rings a bell.

However, when one reaches 65, Tricare for Life (TFL) kicks in; it's completely different and, IMO even better.

Depending on your current age, there's no need for immediate concern; but I'd advise you to become knowledgable about TFL before it arrives.

Awoody's avatarAwoodyNew Member

When I found out I was losing Tricare Prime on October 1, I checked out three sources for Tricare Supplements.  MOAA, AFA, and AFBA.  I felt the best program for my family was through AFBA.COM.  They connect you with ASI who guides you through the process and issues policy from one of their connect insurers.  My policy actually underwritten by Monument Life Insurance Company.  One feature that distinguished them was willingness to waive the normal 6 month Pre-existing conditions exclusion, since I was be forced out of Tricare Prime.  Only been with them a few months, but seem good at this point. I think eryone should check several alternatives and choose the one that fits them best.

Stressless's avatarStresslessNew Member

So I've just looking at TriCare Retired Reserves... Monthly $950+  + the $3000 annual cap.    Anybody have ideas on a plan less that $12,000 a year for me and Mrs.   Oh and I'll have 30 years in the reserves and those premiums only are until I reach "Retirement Pay Time"  for reservist that is 60 y/o but reduced for deployment time post 2008.  So for me right now it's 58.75 y/o then I get to only pay what a active duty tricare plan member pays... 

Thx

Stressless