Disabled, thus poor, my whole adult life, "0% chance of savings goal," how did I score 42%? Seems high.

I've actually been "on the short bus" my whole life, but my disabilities weren't diagnosed until I was in my late 20s, and one not until my 50s, so I dropped out, my first try at college, to spare Dad from paying for 2 oe 3 of us at once.  Mild autism and (non-hyper, day-drreaming) attention deficit, and a resulting 30 years of clinical depression have kept me from fitting in, no matter how hard I tried.  I was in the Army National Guard for 17 years, but it took me 14 years to make it to E-5.  My income has been close (mostly below) to the federal poverty level for almost 40 years.

So I'm really grateful for the Income-Based Repayment Plan for federal student loans.  My only debt is those loans, and my income would have to reach $20,000/year, before I'd have to pay even $25/month.  As is, my earned income is only about $3,000/year, because even though I was able to complete a bachelor's degree in economics, after I stopped being depressed, employers are too quick to conclude I can't do the work they want, because of my disabilities, which are too obvious to conceil.

My only hope for ever being self-supporting, thus finally giving my family a break, is cartooning on the web.  I've won local, state, regional, and national awards for my volunteer cartooning for the VCU student newspaper.  I didn't miss deadline in all my 5 years there.

72Wb2009_08_02_PP_Statue of Liberty.gif

Working on bringing my website up-to-date, to work with all sizes of screens.  Don't send people to it, yet.  As much as you might want to help, it's not time yet.  Within a year, I should be ready, and uploading at least 2 cartoons per week.  Then I'll need all my family and friends showing my cartoons to anyone who will look.

This is because it's very easy for just about anyone to put cartoons on the web.  So there are probably thousands of webcomics, but only dozens of really good ones.  No one wants to wade through that.  So it's all people showing people, very slowly at first.  Most people don't wait the minimum 3 years for site traffic.  I don't think I have any choice but to stick to it.  Thanks for reading.

Bill L.

Please sign-in to reply

1 REPLY

Hey @Pastshelfdate, I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavor <3 -Emily