chosita
Contributor

I'll be traveling thru uk and scotland for 2 months. when and how is best way to exchange my us$ for greatest value? does usaa charge an foreign exchange fee? If so, what is the rate. if us$ is in usaa checking, can usaa debit card be used in UK & is there a fee? how much?

5 REPLIES

Chosita,

I travel to the UK every year to visit family.  You can use your USAA debit and credit card in the UK (by the way, Scotland is still part of the UK).  I always get any cash I need from the ATM.  USAA will reimburse up to $15 per account cycle for any ATM Fees and there is a 1% Foreign Transaction Fee that is actually paid to Visa/Mastercard.

Have Fun

Thanks DS. are there limits in uk as too how much you can get each day? or time? I've been to the " Holes in the wall " before, but I used my amex with no transaction fee. Thanks.

Same limits you would have here.  You can call USAA and have them raise it for a short period of time if you need to pull out more.  If you have a credit card that doesn't require you to pay the FTF, definately use it for most of your purchases.  I use my Capitol One when overseas where I can.

Thanks to DSTexas and others for info re; tam's and exchanging usd for gbp etc. Been a member lot years of usaa, never used this community before. very helpful, great experience. Thanks to all for info and feedback. 1% is worth it. now for better parity between gbp & $. 

Hi Chosita!

DSTEXAS answer is correct and I also recommend the Depository Agreement and Disclosure (page 28) regarding the Currency Exchange Rate:

currency.png

If you give us a clal here at 1-800-531-8722 a memeber service specalist would be happy to answer any questions or concerns you have!

Thank you for posting!