Wife Died 3 years ago and they won't remove her. New wife is understandably upset.

So after a battle with cancer, my late wife died in January of 2019. USAA put me in touch with a special section to help out. They got my wife's death certificate in February of 2019. It is now October of 2021 and she is still on my account. That's a gross failure of leadership at USAA that after at least six phone calls and sending a second round of documents, they still cannot remove her. 

Second part- I remarried. My new wife can't get put on the account. The maddening hold times, the inability to speak to a human being, etc. is part of the problem. Her banks (Bank of America and Merill Lynch) bend over backwards to accomodate her. Maybe it is because she is worth over $100,000,000. Not a good time to show bad customer service and irresponsive banking. This is important because fast service may have won her over. Instead, you lost a 30 year customer and the  

Most Helpful

I don't know why USAA will not remove people as "family members" when requested. I requested my list be updated several years ago, which they didn't. The page has a link to report the loss of a loved one, but not for someone to be removed like divorce or other reasons.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES

Hello @raetsch1. I am very sorry to hear of this issue you are having with removing your late wife. I have located your profile and escalated your concerns for further review. -Colleen

I don't know why USAA will not remove people as "family members" when requested. I requested my list be updated several years ago, which they didn't. The page has a link to report the loss of a loved one, but not for someone to be removed like divorce or other reasons.

View solution in original post

So after a battle with cancer, my late wife died in January of 2019. USAA put me in touch with a special section to help out. They got my wife's death certificate in February of 2019. It is now October of 2021 and she is still on my account. That's a gross failure of leadership at USAA that after at least six phone calls and sending a second round of documents, they still cannot remove her. 

Second part- I remarried. My new wife can't get put on the account. The maddening hold times, the inability to speak to a human being, etc. is part of the problem. Her banks (Bank of America and Merill Lynch) bend over backwards to accomodate her. Maybe it is because she is worth over $100,000,000. Not a good time to show bad customer service