Highlighted
Contributor

I am unhappy with the recent corporate decision to switch ALL mastercards to visa. I was not asked if I agree with this change. When I selected my cards, I chose MC for a reason, especially for as my Credit Card. I already have Visa cards and didn not need more. While I could live with my debit cards being cnaged, I just learned that I also have to give up my Marine Corps Association&Foundation Mastercard I specifically selected when I joined USAA. Why was that done this way, without giving your memberts/customers a choice? Now I have ONLY visa cards which means I will have to apply for yet another card (including another hard inquery) plus additional annual card fee and another account to track. This is not right and I hope that someone higher up will come to their senses and reverse that decision to not offer MC anymore. I have only had good experiences with USAA so far, but this is really bad and might be a deal breaker for me. I do not like VISA at all and should have a choice which creditr card I apply for. I did not apply for a VISA card!

4 REPLIES

Highlighted

Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your concerns and your feedback regarding the conversion from MasterCard to Visa. We started making the announcement about the conversion from MasterCard to Visa back in December 2015 and we're truly sorry if the conversion is personally catching you off guard. I assure you this was not our intention. The reason we are moving from MasterCard to Visa is part of our commitment to continue providing competitive benefits to our members which we could no longer offer with our agreement with MasterCard. As an example one of the key benefits in going to Visa was to eliminate foreign transaction fees for USAA Visa credit card holders which we could not offer with MasterCard. This was important to our members. In regards to your Marines Corps Association & Foundation card, you will receive a new Visa Card for the same organization as part of the transition process. We have additional FAQ's online at usaa.com by accessing the following link: http://bit.ly/2dxl5h1. If you would like to personally speak with us we would be happy to do so. Please contact us at 210-531-USAA (8722), our mobile shortcut #8722 or 800-531-8722. Our hours are 6:30 a.m. – 10 p.m. CT weekdays and 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. CT Saturdays.

Highlighted

I still do not understand why you would not offer both as you did before? And members can chose which card they want e.g. if you are travel a lot you probably chose the VISA card option. I am all for offering choices but against mandatory change of servioces I specifically selected! THink of it as a car you select and buy, and a few years later your car is being exchanged for a different one that you did not select and wanted and have no chance to not accept it. Or you booked a vacation in advance to find your itinerary to have changed based on what the agency deciced "is best".

You would be very unhappy about that I assume, and might now understand my unhappyness and deep frustration about this forced change. Offer ALL opiont and everyone can get what they need and is happy!

Highlighted

YankeeGirl, I regret your frustration and dissatisfaction with the conversion. I have submitted your feedback regarding this matter to a business manager. They review all feedback received, in an effort to identify areas of opportunity. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. - Ben 

Highlighted

Any time. And I just wanted to share this information from the Hawaiian Airline Website. it is their current Credit Card offer which I found very interesting:

WELCOME TO THE HAWAIIAN AIRLINES® WORLD ELITE MASTERCARD CREDIT CARD®

GET REWARDED THE EASY WAY2

• Earn 2X miles on eligible purchases made directly from Hawaiian Airlines
  • Earn 1X miles on all other purchases with no mileage caps
  • No blackout dates plus access to discounted award flights on Hawaiian Airlines
  • No foreign transaction fees on purchases made in another country