Highlighted
Contributor

I have a significant amount of credit card debt, a car payment, student loans, and a mortgage. I am hoping to be credit card debt free in 3-5 years, so I can focus on the other larger debts. I have read about the various methods for paying off debt faster - paying the smallest debt off first vs the one with the largest interest rate. I am living on a pretty tight budget, and do not have much more I can trim out. I am applying for a second job, but I am really having a hard time convincing myself to get a roommate (it's never worked well for me in the past). I was wondering is it best to continue trying to pay this off by myself or do I get a credit counselor/financial planner to hold me accountable and help me come up with a plan? And if so, how do I go about getting one of these people? Who is the best person to help me achieve my goal of becoming debt free? 

3 REPLIES

Highlighted

Hello and thank you so much for reaching out to us with your inquiry. We can offer some great information to help you make the best decisions on achieving your goal of becoming debt free. Please go to usaa.com and type: debt free in the search box. There are some fantastic article there including one in particular called: Should I Save or Pay Off Debt?. I hope this information helps and please let us know if we can answer any other questions for you. Thank you!

Highlighted

My suggestion is to search for myfico forums and go to the Rebuilding Credit forum.  You don't have to join to read the various posts.  I would start by reading similar posts to yours.  If you feel comfortable, then join the forum and pose your question and you will get lots of helpful feedback from members who have been in your shoes.

Good Luck

Highlighted

Dave Ramsey.  He's not a gimmick or some secret plan.  Just common sense method to get out of debt and stay out.  It works, and you should take the actual class if you can.  https://www.daveramsey.com/