Highlighted
Contributor

I've been a USAA member for over 40 years and have found that, overall, it provides excellent services in banking and insurance. But there is one glaring deficiency, in my opinion: the Money Manager app, which would be a fantastic feature for most any member if it could really track money and manage budgets. But it is ten years behind the times and USAA simply will not make it truly functional. What's missing? "Split" transactions. About a half of my expenses/purchases need to be broken up into two or even three categories. For example, a $100 bank withdrawal results in a two category transaction that totals $103.00: $100 to "Spending Cash" and $3.00 to "Bank Fees". Or a $89.50 grocery store bill may be split as $50.50 "Groceries" and $30.00 as "OTC Remedies". USAA's Money Manager can't perform this simple function. Everything in one transaction has to be assigned to just one category. No other money manager app today lacks this function. I have been inquiring with USAA about this feature and requesting it for no less than six years; I've even written to USAA's CEO, and only then did I get a reply and then only to say that it's in the works for the future, but it never happens. So I continue to use "Mint.com" instead of USAA's app, but we shouldn't have to step outside an institution like USAA to a "free" commercial app ladden with advertisements to manage our money. Without the split transactions feature the USAA Money Manager may as well not exist. Do any other members find this app to be useless? Does any one else have a simple workaround for managing USAA FSB transactions that need more than one category?

3 REPLIES

Highlighted

Jumpnjack, we can understand the frustration you are experiencing.  Please note, due to the volume of feedback received from members we are unable to notify each member individually if an idea or comment results in a direct change; however your concerns and feedback have been shared with the IT teams for assistance in future updates. ~JM

Highlighted

I agree with the OP, the money manager app does not execute as any other app today does. Should update to be able to split transactions.

Highlighted

@jimmyb84, Thanks for taking the time to let us know about what you think of that app. I have logged your feedback and am sending it along now. ~Tom