Has this happened to anyone? I received a letter saying that I authorized a PNC one-time debit authorization for a credit card -0413. I DID NOT authorize this transaction. First, I called Banking because they were going to withdraw $1,000 out of my checking account. I was on the phone for nearly 2 hours, and they couldn't figure it out (went from rep who said her manager and several others were reviewing and then to executive-level rep who was supposedly "trained" to deal with these situations). I don't have a PNC account nor do I have any accounts ending in those numbers. I asked twice to the initial rep and then the executive-level rep to please put a stop to the transaction. No idea if they did. Then, they told me to call the Insurance department because PNC is an "insurance term." I think they meant P&C (property & casualty). After trying to convince them that the letter said it was payment for a credit card, I called the Insurance department who told me that Banking gave me wrong information - that they didn't have any billing for $1,000 or any authorization to take out a $1,000. They told me to go back to Banking and tell them they were wrong. I called Banking and proceeded to wait for nearly an hour when the phone rang and then hung up. So I called back, and someone picked up and immediately hung up again. 

I searched the Internet for instances of fraud like this and came across these: https://www.reddit.com/r/USAA/comments/obre04/usaa_bank_fraud_experience_beware/  and USAA to Pay $12 Million in Restitution to Customers, $3.5 Million Fine 

Now, I am really worried. Has this happened to anyone? Who can I call at USAA who may have the answer? I have been bounced around. In today's technology, there has to be a way to find out where the debit authorization originated (an IP). I can't imagine that someone can authorize this kind of transaction without having access to my account. I did not submit this authorization, so I am very worried that I have been hacked. And USAA doesn't have the answer. 

1 REPLY

Dear @LP12

I can certainly understand your concern regarding the letter you received. Although, I can not provide details via this forum, there is a question that might help you understand what the letter is regarding. Did you authorize a payment to your USAA credit card? Please chat with us on usaa.com and we will be able to discuss exact details. To initiate a secure online chat with our 24/7 chat team, select ASK USAA or Reach a Representative near the top of your account page. Or select Chat from the Contact Us options under HELP tab. - Jesse