USAA paid an ACH of $4480.00 when I only had a balance of $600.00

No response from USAA. I bet they will simply ignore them problem. I guess I really am going to have to stop banking with USAA. Time to find a credit union. Any suggestions for national or local (Fort Worth, TX)?

That is a terrible response from USAA for a faulty system.

If your overdraft protection(s) could not cover the ACH payment it should have been rejected.

Will Amex reverse the erroneous $4480 payment so you can cover and close out your USAA account?

No. Amex will not reverse it, nor would I expect them to. In regards to USAA, I have to wait and see if they reverse it or not. I am waiting on a direct deposit this week which will help me at least break even (I hope), but after it is deposited I have to transfer it from BoA to USAA. My fear is USAA will put some artificial time delay on a transfer in from my external bank account, adding to the problem. I have to wait and see, I guess.

It has been a full business day. When will USAA contact me regarding this matter? I have a student loan payment processing tonight in addition to a corrected Amex loan payment AND three (small) debit card purchases that are pending. Am I going to be charged an NSF for every one of these outstanding charges due to USAA's error?

Xanduur,,

Point 1: Do not let up on USAA to fix this problem for you. They should assume responsibility for the entire scope of the services they provide, to include questionable automation systems that they use to manage their member’s accounts (which should be of concern to all of us).

Point 2: Don’t feel you’re on your own. Below is the contact info for the Federal Trade Commission’s Military Task Force. I have made a few friends over there over the past month as USAA is now disconnecting military members from this member community forum for 30 days if a member repeats a topic that USAA does not like. The FTC/MTF has a broad scope of oversight in protecting military consumers and no company is outside of their reach.

If you find it hard to believe that USAA is now disconnecting retired military officers for repeating a topic on this “member” community forum then take a look at the excerpt below. This issue is also receiving attention on Capitol Hill as Senior Reps from Facebook, Twitter, and Google will soon be appearing before Congress to discuss this very topic of suppressing responsible freedom of speech. Then below that short excerpt is the contact info and explanation on the FTC/MTF.

We are not alone against some big corporation. Keep in touch and good luck with school.

Airborne,
Stand United

August 01 2018 / 04:42 PM

Dear Colonel (name),

Additional posts on the same topic would be considered bumping, which is a violation of our Member Community guidelines. Your Member Community account was suspended for 30 days, effective July 24, due to repeated posts on the same topic.

Thank you,
Joseph Madrid
USAA

Federal Trade Commission
Bureau of Consumer Protection

The Federal Trade Commission launched a web page highlighting the work of the agency’s new Military Task Force, which is aimed at identifying the needs of military consumers and developing initiatives to empower servicemembers, veterans, and their families, including through law enforcement actions.
The Military Task Force, comprised of a cross-section of agency representatives, is part of the FTC’s ongoing and collaborative effort to provide resources for the military community.

In 2016, there were more than 100,000 consumer complaints from servicemembers, their dependents, military retirees and veterans, according to data compiled by the FTC. About two-thirds of the complaints were from retirees and veterans.

“Servicemembers devote their lives to protecting us, so it’s incumbent on us to protect them,” said FTC Acting Chairman Maureen K. Ohlhausen. “This task force will work on identifying the needs of military consumers and work on several initiatives to address those needs.”

For more information, visit: ftc.gov/militarytaskforce

The Federal Trade Commission works to promote competition, and protect and educate consumers. You can learn more about consumer topics and file a consumer complaint online or by calling 1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357).

CONTACT INFORMATION
MEDIA CONTACT:
Nicole Jones
(link sends e-mail)

Office of Public Affairs
202-326-2565
STAFF CONTACTS:
Svetlana Gans
202-326-3708;

Carole Reynolds
202-326-3230; and

Carol Kando-Pineda
202-326-3152

Hi Xanduur,

Do you have a USAA credit card?

While not ideal, one option could be to call USAA and request a credit limit increase and then take a cash advance against the card to cover everything to avoid any further damage.

This would however start to accrue interest charges immediately, so you would want pay off the cash advance as soon as possible, and then it fight it out with USAA over the reconciliation and reversing any fees or penalties.

The credit card (with attached overdraft protection) was the very problem. USAA, instead of just denying the charge, ran the credit card (which was denied due to such a large ACH). This situation adds 24 or more hours where an account will show a negative balance...and will cause anything that processes (according to USAA) to be denied as well. I was very lucky that it did clear up last night or I would have had my student loan payment and another payment be rejected by USAA.

The point to the story? USAA has gone downhill. Everything is automated with the employees (supposedly) having no ability to actually intervene on behalf of the customer. What is the point of using USAA when they don't provide a service any better than any other bank? This is NOT the way to take care of military members, veterans, and their dependents. At this point we are just a way to make money for USAA. Very, very sad.

And no, USAA never contacted me with a solution. So much for the forum's Social Service representative's statement about working the problem. Worthless.

@Xanduur, I completely understand your frustration. It is never our intent to have our members feel like they are just another number. I will have your concerns forwarded to the appropriate area for further review. ~ Samantha 

More nonsense . Still no solution or contact from USAA.

I spoke with Amex and they suggested that I stop
payment on the ACH since they will run it automatically two more times. WHY did USAA not suggest this on Monday in the first place? I didn’t know a stop payment could be made on an ACH.

Of course USAA stop payment didn’t work. USAA just charged me a SECOND NSF fee of $29. What was the point of spending 30 minutes on the phone settting up a stop payment if I am still charged an NSF fee? I have NEVER seen such incompetence from a bank in 35 years of banking. What is wrong with USAA?
As suggested earlier, it is time to file a formal complaint with the Federal Trafe Commision.