USAA not interested in supporting OFX or Quicken users

Regular Contributor

I have brought many problems with OFX/QFX file format to senior levels at USAA several times since 2010.  They omit key account information in the downloads and this prevents Quiken and MoneyDance from recognizing account transfers as two-ends of the same transaction.  They also omit data from their WebBillPay contractor so that these payments do not have payee information, but just serialized check numbers that do not correspond to anything.  Instead of a quick reconcile, I have to manually fill in the missing data and merge duplicate transactions each month.  The USAA folks in IT and the Office of the President initially claimed they would fix these things after an exhaustive internal database overhaul that was underway.  After 18 mos of waiting, I pinged again and got the answer that OFX is an unsupported standard and they did not view the financial data integrity problems above as valid problems. 

It is clear USAA does not take folks who want to maintain a local record of their finances and download their data seriously, and instead wants to drive them toward their website and an online model where they keep all the data and you must access it through them and their interface and the internet.  The fact that no one at USAA yet has a clue that downloads are broken or has stepped forward to communicate with members further highlights the low regard they have for this. 

31 REPLIES

Wow, very disappointing.  Managing my finances using each institution's website is not a viable solution for me.  I agree, the lack of updates is very disappointing.  Even a quick "Our apologies for the inconvenience, we're aware of the situation & are working on it." would have been appreciated.

The official stance is that OFX is unsupported?  I haven't had any issues until today (none that have lasted so long), but I'd really hate to think that functionality I absolutely depend on could be removed so easily.

I have spent countless hours since June 2014 trying to get the Quicken interface working. I've had several discussions with USAA personnel.  Quicken has been working for about a month with the USAA database, however, this weekend of (1-23-2015)  the Quicken download errors started again (all weekend).  It is obvious USAA does not care about it's long term customers. 

This is extremely disappointing, because I have been doing business with this company for 19 years and it looks like they just don't care anymore.  I told the last person I talked to at USAA, that if this disfunctional situation with USAA databases continues,  I'm moving my brokerage to a company that can meet my requirements.

Next I'll have to look into transferring checking account services and credit card services.  They have created a huge inconvenience for responsible people who actually track their expenses and balances.  Trying to force us to use their webpage is unacceptable.  Taking away IT functionality is unacceptable. 

I'm not certain why the USAA IT department is so incompetent, but they obviously didn't take my recommendation and hire IT personnel talented enough to keep the IT applications working consistently without losing functionality.  It looks like I need to start shopping around, because I can't even check my check book balance by performing a download and auto-reconciling anymore. 

Dear Takiefer, Wachakav and Jimmy,

I would like to apologize for the service interruptions you are experiencing. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback and sentiments on how things have been handled thus far.

We are aware that there are multiple applications (not just Quicken) that are currently affected and the team is working to isolate the problem and fix it as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, we do not have a timeline for when these issues will be resolved; but we will post updates as soon as we have additional information.

Thank you for your continued patience. If you would like an additional outlet, please feel free to send questions, concerns and suggestions here.

For those of you who are having issues with Quicken a member (TechSGT) posted a workaround on this thread here

I found the page where I can download a qfx file to import into my new Quicken 2015...

but it only has 2 months of data. I'd like all of 2014. How can this be done?

I can export to a csv file and had no luck using anything to convert the csv to a qif

Hello,

I use YNAB and would use USAA for my bank, but need my transactions in downloadable OFX or QFX.  Any body know how, Thanks.

Hi, did you ever find software for OFX? I am on the hunt for one and don't know who to trust.
Another year has elapsed and USAA has not made any improvements to data downloads. Instead they apparently spent the IT budget on a cosmetic change to the website. As Frank Lloyd Wright said, "form follows function." USAA today is apparently much more about appearances and has no regard for correcting longstanding issues with data download functionality. I refuse to risk my privacy by keeping all my information online in some else's cloud, and do not like being dependent upon USAA's servers and the internet for real-time access to my accounts. I want my banking data in my own financial software so I can do my own taxes offline. USAA seems to have a strategy of forcing us to web-based banking by keeping the data downloads problematic. I don't know how many people I represent, but my input to the Board of Directors for 2016 remains the same -- fix this.

I download to Quicken, and though I probably don't use all the features I should, the one thing I noticed was that after the conversion to Fidelity, Long Term Capital Gains started downloading as "bought" rather than "income reinvested". So - every time I have LTCG, I have to go in and MANUALLY fix my transactions. I tried notifying USAA and they said "call Quicken", which (after a terrible time trying to get someone who could actually understand the problem), they did nothing. Given that this broke after the conversion to FIS, it seems to me that USAA/FIS should be able to fix this, not Quicken.

Another really large oversight is that the OFX download isn't even valid XML.  They don't close their tags, which means I'm going to have to work extra hard to process these files.  How does a person that doesn't even understand the basics of XML get tasked with the job of creating a data export feature dependant on understanding both the XML specification and the OFX specification?  Maybe USAA's hiring policy is overly generous.