I'm a 37 year member and was motivated to check out other insurance companies several months ago because I was tired of USAA's  political activism and support of extremst groups and their deteriorating customer service. I discovered GEICO to have superior rates on both the car and house side and am very happy we dropped USAA and switched. The one benefit that USAA does have is dividing payments into montly increments without penalty- GEICO charges a significant fee to do this. Hence, if you can pay a 6-month premium at one time GEICO is far better than USAA, but you need to be aware of this when comparing rates. We've also removed most of our money from USAA on the banking side, again for their politrcal extemism, awful customer service, and anemic rates on savings- Ally Bank offers something like 12 times more in interest on savings than USAA.

deleted

I guess it's true:   https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/politics/article/Valero-USAA-among-San-Antonio-companies-that... 

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/usaa/summary?id=D000029616 

So USAA IS using part of our premiums to play politics.  It looks like 1.5 million in 2020.   I have no interest in adding to the (legal) corruption of our government through USAA.

Oh, and USAA is no longer led by a military man.   And it was sold last year to Charles Schwab. 

Another sign that USAA is becoming just another market player using the same playbook as the rest.  

Take a hard look at AmicaMutual.  They have a similar (mutual association) business model to what USAA had in the old days, and claims/customer service is great -- comparable to what USAA was 20 or 30 years ago.  I've moved all my insurance over to them now. 

And I agree that USAA (nor any business for that matter) should be involved in all the political "causes."  I mean, why alienate 50% of your potential customers?  But I guess that it's more trendy to support "social justice warriors" than actual Warriors these days.

IRQVET - I left USAA after 40 years for a major company that offers 1 year policies and not 6 month policies.  It just renewed for the second time, so I am beginning the 3rd year with them.  I have 4 vehicles.  When I was with USAA the 4th vehicle was in storage so it was charged a lower rate by USAA than having full coverage.  The new company does not offer stored vehicle coverage so I went with full coverage for that vehicle.  The initial policy with the new company was significantly lower than USAA for better coverage.  And with this latest renewal, my policy is now 67% cheaper than USAA.    Earlier this week, I was contacted by Mr. Hugo Estrada of the USAA CEO's office and informed him of this situation and even offered to prove it to him.  It was obvious that he was stunned by this situation and offered no response at all.  Nothing.  I even told him that I could not even remember any 6 month renewal where the cost went down.  Again, he seemed to be stunned and offered no response.  A while back, it is very obvious that USAA made a strategic business decision to change the way they do business.  Their insurance rates are now non-competitive and their customer service has gone down the drain.  I also have a sibling who left USAA.  When asked why, her response was "USAA had become too expensive."  Shop around.  I suggest using SelectQuote.  What has been intentionally done to USAA is a disgrace.

Thanks for bringing this up - I've noticed how crazy the USAA prices have become, and you've now given me the kick to explore other options. I also heard from a real estate friend that USAA's homeowner's insurance is also actually quite difficult and known to be such. So I guess that's exploring alternative insurance options is my next thing on the to-do list.

Hello, @JEAM! We appreciate you sharing your concerns. If I may ask, when were we last able to review your policies with you? ~ Steven

I did that twice to no avail. All I got was a sob story about how they'd hate to see me leave. Just saying . . .

I am with you, had similar experience about insurance both home and auto, I do not understand USAA pitch, but if you watch thier commercial and they boasting they are all into our active duty forces and veterans and how they care about our sacrafices  as you probably remember USAA used to cater only to military officers and thier depends and left the enlisted ranks in the back burner, I am not here to trash USAA, they did good thing to help our community, but I do not understand with the customers base that they servicing they should have clouts to negotiates lower cost to it members, hopefully they will nade this a priority nmuber 1 in 2021 to to move forward live up up to thier commiment to ouractive duty and veterans and help them achieve thier financial goals and save a little.

Semper FI

Peace Out 

Hi, Tango Sierra. We appreciate you sharing your concerns and expressing your thoughts on this experience. If I may ask, have you been able to review with us, by chance? ~ Steven