USAA Insurance is getting to expensive

So USAA has been my auto and home insurance company for 18 years. I was recently talking to a few veterans about insurance and I asked him if he used USAA. His reply kinda shocked me. He quickly stated that he used to, but they got to expensive so he switched companies. Now I have to admit that when I first got USAA insurance, they were way cheaper than everyone else, so it never dawned on me to do a check to see if I was still getting a great rate; 18 years of blind bliss I guess?

Fastward to yesterday, I had a simular conversation with a co-worker, and he said the same thing. He dropped USAA years ago because their rates were too expensive. Granted I don't know their driving history (accidents, tickets, DUI) so I don't know what external factors drove up their rates. But I have to admit, I was now curious if I was still getting a great rate from USAA. So I decided to check and here was the results:

• USAA was 2.5 times more expensive than Flo' given the same coverages and deductibles.
  • USAA was 1.5 times more expensive than State Farm given the same coverages and deductibles.

I figured this must be some sort of an oversight by USAA. So I called them to see what was going on. I have a perfect driving record, and my last vehicle accident was when I got rear ended in 2004. (At no fault of mine) 

At the end of the day, USAA had nothing so say. No explination, and basically gave me the best answer they could; which was their rates are their rates. If I wanted a cheaper rate, I would have to reduce my coverages. 

Granted a big deciding factor when shopping isn't just their rates. Their customer service is a big portion, as is the speed and ease in which they pay out in the event you need them. But with that being said, I can't speak to Flo', but I know State Farm has a wonderful reprutation and handles claims effectively.

Has anyone here experienced a simular issue with USAA? Seems like they are not now what they once were. . . 

(Even as I write this, USAA's system is blocking me from using the real name of the insurance provider listed above) But I think eveyone knows who Flo' is.

Please sign-in to reply

35 REPLIES