So USAA has been my auto and home insurance company for 18 years. I was recently talking to a few veterans about insurance and I asked him if he used USAA. His reply kinda shocked me. He quickly stated that he used to, but they got to expensive so he switched companies. Now I have to admit that when I first got USAA insurance, they were way cheaper than everyone else, so it never dawned on me to do a check to see if I was still getting a great rate; 18 years of blind bliss I guess?

Fastward to yesterday, I had a simular conversation with a co-worker, and he said the same thing. He dropped USAA years ago because their rates were too expensive. Granted I don't know their driving history (accidents, tickets, DUI) so I don't know what external factors drove up their rates. But I have to admit, I was now curious if I was still getting a great rate from USAA. So I decided to check and here was the results:

• USAA was 2.5 times more expensive than Flo' given the same coverages and deductibles.
  • USAA was 1.5 times more expensive than State Farm given the same coverages and deductibles.

I figured this must be some sort of an oversight by USAA. So I called them to see what was going on. I have a perfect driving record, and my last vehicle accident was when I got rear ended in 2004. (At no fault of mine) 

At the end of the day, USAA had nothing so say. No explination, and basically gave me the best answer they could; which was their rates are their rates. If I wanted a cheaper rate, I would have to reduce my coverages. 

Granted a big deciding factor when shopping isn't just their rates. Their customer service is a big portion, as is the speed and ease in which they pay out in the event you need them. But with that being said, I can't speak to Flo', but I know State Farm has a wonderful reprutation and handles claims effectively.

Has anyone here experienced a simular issue with USAA? Seems like they are not now what they once were. . . 

(Even as I write this, USAA's system is blocking me from using the real name of the insurance provider listed above) But I think eveyone knows who Flo' is.

24 REPLIES

Hello, @IRQVET. We appreciate you sharing this and giving us the opportunity to review. USAA understands that no member wants to pay more for insurance. As a result, we constantly evaluate competitiveness, member feedback, and emerging trends. So ensuring competitiveness is a major focus for us at this time, while still providing the best in service and claims experiences in the industry. We are certainly happy to review with you again at any time to seek out any potential savings opportunities that may be available. Please don't hesitate to to connect with us via chat on http://USAA.com or by dialing 800-531-8722 to review going forward. 🤝 ~ Steven

What exactly can you do for me that wasn't already attempted? Like I stated in my post, I gave you folks the benefit of the dought, assuming it was just a mistake or some sort of oversight. The only sugguestion I received was in order to get better rates, I need to reduce my coverages. Doesn't seem like a real viable solution to the problem at hand. 

Keep in mind that was the information provided to me by USAA when I called. What will calling again do other than raise my blood preassure?

Do you think it depends more on your state and car? Last year, I found State Farm and Geico to be incredibly more expensive...

Hello @young Person Learnin, thank you for your membership. We know how important the rates are and here to help anyway we can :) -Paula

I placed a second call into USAA based on the feedback from you folks here.

Same conversation ensued. No way to reduce the cost without dropping coverages. This is not acceptable and will no longer be tollorated. Keep in mind I've reached out to more insurance provides, and none of them will be charging me as much for the same coverages.

• Allstate
  • Farmers
  • State Farm
  • Flo'

Every single one of those listed above are offerring me better rates. And to them, I'm just John Q. Customer off the street. Not an 18 year member like I am at USAA. Its truely unfortunate. So if you folks are examining trends to ensure you reamin competitive, you're failing miserably to accomplish that goal. 

Whats the military term for that, "Go wrong- Stay wrong."

@IRQVET, sorry to hear the outcome was not what you would have liked. Please know we value your membership and would hate to see you go. I will be sure to share your comments with the appropriate area. Thank you. -Cynthia 

The rate comparison was apples to apples, same vehicles, same coverages, same physical locations.

@IRQVET, I can understand your point and your hesitation. It's always a good idea to take a second look to ensure we reviewed all your policy characteristics, discounts and savings. We understand we are not always the cheapest, but our goal is to always be competitive. If you change your mind, please give us a call at 800-531-8722 or chat with an Insurance Professional by selecting your policy online and clicking "Contact USAA" on the top right-hand corner. Thank you. -Cynthia 

USAA is no longer competitive due to a intentional shift in the way it does business.  What has been done to USAA is a disgrace.