I was surprised and disappointed today to learn that USAA will now function only with money management software giant, Quicken. I found this out the hard way when my banking data failed to upload one day. I never saw this coming. Quicken is a notoriously bad program for Mac platforms, which is why many of us have been using great software alternatives like Moneydance. There are other great programs out there, but not anymore with USAA. Now there's only one. Who at USAA thought it was a good idea to simply "unplug" thousands of us who purposely choose to avoid Quicken and leave us stranded without access to our money management tools?

For me, this is an expensive problem that I now have to scramble to fix. It also leaves me open to tax reporting and other vulnerabilities that I should never have had to endure.

138 REPLIES

@EXCB, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding this matter. I have shared your comments to the appropriate area for further review. We continually look for opportunities to improve our services and your comment will help us do so. - Ben 

I am a fellow Moneydance user and echo the poster's sentiment.  You don't support only the Windows operating system?  You don't support only the Chrome browser?  Then why do you only support the Quicken personal financial management application?  Do you think it is the only one?  You indeed are contributing to a company trying to become a monopoly.  I do nearly all of my purchases using my USAA credit card.  I rely on the ability to download those transactions to track my finances.  Without that ability, I WILL cancel my USAA credit card account, I have no problem with that.  I will not be forced to switch to a vastly inferior product like Quicken.  And several of the other Moneydance/USAA users have stated they will do the same.  You say you "...continually look for opportunities to improve our services".  In this case, you found a way to make them worse.

https://df3cx-services.1fsapi.com/casm/usaa/enroll, it would be nice if the link actually worked instead of getting a 504 gateway error all day.

Clearly USAA is in decline from an operational and customer service perspective. Fix this with Money Dance now or you have lost another long time customer. I'm done with your decline.

I, too am a dissatisfied customer. I've been downloading my several account transactions into my financial program for 20 years.  I use Microsoft Money and am presently using PocketSense for the downloads.

It worked perfectly OK until I tried on Jan 28th.

I can understand that you need to update security from time to time. But to break this feature, with no notice to the various developers, is poor public relations.  And since, there has been no communication with either users or the various non-Quicken developers as to how to implement the proper changes.

From trial and error, I can tell you that, in Pocket Sense, changing the ofx url and getting new AccessID/Password using the Quicken interface does not work.

Easily downloadable transactions are a must for me.  And I won't be switching to Quicken for a variety of reasons. But there are other financial institutions that can meet my banking and credit card needs, and that still have a usable OFX interface for financial programs.  I'd rather not switch my banking, but if this issue does not get fixed, it will be a real deal breaker for me.

Please forward this to whoever might be able to make a change.

Adding yet another viewpoint. I am a developer who consumes the OFX endpoint directly with my own code to track transactions in my own software. At the very least allow people like me to create the OFX credentials required through some process on the website. That would also allow the other services like MoneyDance to walk their customers through the process.

Quicken is clearly getting special treatment, I don't know how I could ever get a hold of any USAA software engineer time myself.

It's been nearly a week, with no response from USAA other than dismissive statements that our concerns are being "shared to the appropriate area".  When I sent a direct message to USAA, the response was that I have to call Tech Support - wasting my time to resolve a problem that USAA caused and now refuses to acknowledge?

When will USAA fix this problem that you caused?

@USAA, could you please share with us the 'appropriate area' where we can voice our concerns and receive a substantive response?  I will also be switching my banking elsewhere unless you restore lost Moneydance and other 3rd party OFX download capability.

@ wrote:

@EXCB, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding this matter. I have shared your comments to the appropriate area for further review. We continually look for opportunities to improve our services and your comment will help us do so. - Ben 

Wow, that's bland and meaningless.