Highlighted
Contributor

I just applied for a USAA secured credit card to rebuild my credit after a bankruptcy in Feb 2014.  When filling out the application, I only included my income and not that of my domestic partner of 20+ years.  So when the app asked our rental amount, I of course included that amount, but now I'm thinking I will be declined because my application didn't include my partner's inccome.  I've been current on everything including rent, taxes, utilities, cable, etc.  I really don't want a credit card, but feel I need to get one in order to rebuild my credit.  I need advice on where to start with all this.  Thank you for your help.

4 REPLIES

Highlighted

Gosh, I couldn't imagine USAA having an issue with giving a "secured credit card" to anyone. :)

If it was USAA who offered one, I'd relax. And, if it was just YOUR choice to request one, I'd... RELAX, still!

Remember... you put in a certain amount that goes into a CD (or, some such situation). It's "secured". If you get turned down, don't forget they don't own the corner market with secured credit.

Warmest wishes,

Jamie

When you input the rent, were you inputting just your share of the rental amount, or did you input the full amount of rent that included your partner's share?

You were exactly correct in only reporting your income, as you are applying for credit based upon your earnings.  Now, if your partner chooses to cosign with you, then you would be reporting the co-borrower's income/debts.

Highlighted

Mom of Lucy, 

I think it is wonderful that you are trying to rebuild your credit - kudos! I know this can be a stressful situation, but I would highly recommend giving one of our member services rep a call at 1-800-531-8722. They will be able to look over your application with you, and let you know if any additional information is needed. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for posting Mom of Lucy and thank you EEE3 and jami&oli for your comments!

Highlighted

Hi - Thank you so much for your response.  i will definitely call members services.