Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
I have been a member for more than 44 years. My daughter who recently finished grad school, missed payments and attempted to work out a payment plan to catch up on delinquent payments. As a result of some type of confusion (not clear whose), the payments scheduled go to the credit card went to a different account. she found out when the account went to collections. This is where things got crazy. Although she worked with USAA to set up a new payment plan, they decided they no longer wanted her business. This happened while she had several other accounts in good standing including insurance, checking and savings. USAA "punished" her for the sin of setting up a payment plan by restricting ALL her accounts. She cannot do ANY online banking--not even pay bills, make deposits, transfers, etc. without first CALLING to gain access each time. She was recently notified that her checking account's debt card was compromised and the account wad frozen and a new card was sent. The only problem is she is currently working in China and cannot call. She cannot even get online to change the password. It is insane to treat a member who is trying to make payments the exact same way USAA would treat a felon who stole money. I know this because a USAA representative told me after I sent a copy of the power of attorney. If you are young and happen to make a mistake, expect he same treatment. I would not advise getting a USAA credit card or opening any type of account with USAA Bank. They are unforgiving even when you try yo correct a mistake.

3 REPLIES

Highlighted
I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with them. I'm so sorry she's had that type of experience with them. My husband and I opened our accounts when I was 20 and he 24... And have made many "new to banking" mistakes and they've been absolutely amazing. My husband totaled his car and they were equally as amazing in that situation. It was 2 years after we bought it and they ended up giving us 2000$ more than we bought it for! ;-) worked out brilliantly!! ;-) he was deployed to Afghanistan and they were so helpful and understanding while he was gone and also when he returned and we had a little trouble getting used to him transacting on the account when it had just been me for a year. I would highly recommend them. I even work for a different bank and I would never close my account with usaa. Again, hate to hear of your awful experiences, your daughter too!! I wish you the best of luck!!!
Highlighted
We have had nothing but great service from USAA Federal Savings Bank since its inception but I notice a few of these kinds of complaints on the forum. I wonder if there has been a sea change in the way things once were and are no longer that way?
Highlighted

Dear, Me,be the+44yr,

I am so sorry to hear about the complications your daughter is experiencing with our banking department. We would like to get an expert to look further into this situation to see what can be done. If you could please message us here with a few more details and the best way to contact your daughter we can get someone in contact shortly. Thank you!