Spoofing and Fraud

Criminals are spoofing members using USAA’s 800 number to contact them. Members think that the call is legit and some are being taken advantage of via access to their account and wire transfers. As large as USAA is you’d think that they can prevent this. Members are missing funds from their account and no recourse because the transfer can’t be recovered.
Please sign-in to reply

5 REPLIES

USAA--please update sp called "members" on these issues. Today !

@ wrote:
Members are missing funds from their account and no recourse because the transfer can’t be recovered.

Why would anyone lose money based on somethng someone said on an inbound call?  NEVER trust anyone on any inbouind call from anywhere.  If you get a call that asks for money, hang up and call the entity back at a number you know to be valid.

The criminals are getting very good at this. I still don't know whether or not I'm dealing with a USAA rep or not when I'm trying to address our issues. We've lost high, 5 digit amounts of money, and USAA (I think) is either unreachable or seems to be very slow at dealing with these issues. 

Usaa is not the only financial institution dealing with this. They definitely deal with it better then Chase and Citi. I've had problems and felt like Usaa was on my side and helped to rectify the problem. My friend had problems with both Chase and Citigroup and it looked as though they gave him "prostate " exam before even acknowledging there was a problem!

Hello. While we use sophisticated fraud detection processes, we are most effective in fighting fraud when we work with you. We recommend you monitor your account activity on a regular basis and take advantage of all the tools available to mitigate risks when checking your account on your desktop, smartphone or tablet. If you've received a suspicious USAA email, text, phone call or have visited a suspicious website, immediately send the information to abuse@usaa.com. Also you can you please share feedback on what steps you feel we can take to help prevent fake 800 numbers from calling members. Thanks!