Highlighted
Contributor
I was severely injured in 2015, and was unable to work for almost a year. During that time I had very little money coming in from my short term then long term disability and my bills and financial nightmare just kept getting bigger and bigger. Needless to say my checking account kept getting overdrawn, and they kept on pilling on the overdraft and NSF charges until I made them close the accounts. That put a permanent NO on my credit, so I can't even open a new checking or savings account. Doesn't USAA have some kind of a second chance program? I really need a checking and a savings account so that I can have direct deposit for my money. Any help suggestions guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

6 REPLIES

Highlighted

Newlywed7216,

I regret to inform you that we do not have a second chance program. One of the benefits of your membership is access to free financial advice. I invite you to speak with our Financial Advice and Solutions Group by calling 1-800-531-USAA (8722). This team provides solutions focused on individual needs and goals, and I'm sure they can offer the guidance you seek. Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. CT and on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CT. 

Highlighted
They will not help you unfortunately. USAA is a bank and despite trying to downplay they are a for profit corporation with the military marketing strategy that is who they are. When I needed USAA during my unemployment they were only there to collect fees, say no to a much needed personal loan and then gouge with me an outrageous auto loan interest rate in the aftermath of my unemployment. If they can take financial advantage they are there. I suggest trying a credit union. They are a true membership institution unlike USAA.
Highlighted
The "free financial advice" is an attempt to sell you services. Don't waste you time.
Highlighted

I see.  Yes, I tried to get some financial advice about a home refinance loan I was considering and while all the jargon on the USAA website paints USAA as being this financial guru helper, they would not even speak to me about the loan I was considering because it was not with USAA.  There have been some other questionable and ugly things that have transpired USAA is really great in some areas and they absolutely suck in other areas.  But don't get it twisted, NOTHING is actaully for free.

Highlighted

TingTang, thank you for your post. Your feedback is important to us, and I will be sure to share it with the appropriate area for further review. I regret the frustration this has caused for you. We appreciate your membership. -Meredith

Highlighted

Newlywed, there are pay cards out there where you can have a deposit made to the card.  Food stamps work in this manner now also.  Some of the people in the poor areas where I live actually have their employer give them a pay card the employer deposits to because of situations much like yours.  You might see if your employer's payroll department has something similar.  The card then works something like a debit card.  You probably won't be able to open a bank account ANYWHERE until any past due accounts are paid in full.  I had someone find an old, outdated check and use it at a store years after I closed the account.  The check was paid due to my outstanding credit but no other bank in town would open an account for me as long as Bank of America had a "hold" on my banking record.