Highlighted
Contributor
Does anyone know if USAA offers an account where they take a certain amount from your check each paycheck and deposit into another account but you can't touch that account for a certain period of time in order for the amount to grow or gain interest. I'm really trying to save money and not being able to spend it until it's time would really help! Can anyone help?

4 REPLIES

Highlighted
Yes. It's called a savings account coupled with self-control. Look into it.
Highlighted

When I was building up my emergency fund I had automatic savings transfers that went to a money market account at a different financial institution (my local credit union). I purposefully didn't get a debit card associated with my credit union account and didn't get any checks either. That way it was automatic to have savings go into the account, but to pull money out, I had to do a funds transfer between the two different institutions which was a little tedious and took time. That was enough of a stop for me to really, really think before moving any money out of that emergency account. The other benefit of this was that when I logged into USAA, I didn't see my emergency account balance. "Out of sight, out of mind".

Good luck.

Highlighted

As ysette said, "Out of sight, out of mind!" Couldn't have said it better. The best thing to do is to find a place to park the money that gives you the highest gain/return, lowest to no cost, protected whether through FDIC or something else, and still easily accessbile in case of emergency or whatever goal you may be trying to achieve. Ensure the fund/account you place it in does not have any fees for removing the money early, but still allows enough gain to beat inflation if possible. In present times, those accounts are almost unheard of. Remember this is not an investment for the stock market or something that can be volatile. This is a savings. It's up to you to research and look for what best fits your purpose for savings. If it's an emergency fund, you don't want to risk it and lose your money. However, the consequence is that you will get very little to no return. That is why you should check into money market accounts, high yield savings accounts (preferably online) as they offset most fees, or even a CD. Be careful with a CD though as they do have specific time frames to mature and only certain dates  you can withdraw from before you encounter a penalty. Definitely identify your goal for what you are saving for and do enough research to see what type of fund will accomodate your needs. You can always seek the advice of a reputable financial advisor (CFP) and have them assist you in you planning and financial needs. Do you homework.

Highlighted

You can set up an auto draft from checking into savings. Please give one of our member service representatives a call at 800-531-USAA or by using the CONTACT US on USAA.com. Thanks!