Highlighted

I'm caught in the middle of USAA.com's "Track Your Money" upgrade/vortex.  I attempted to adjust the categories to align with my personal budget and experienced one similarity to past usaa.com functionality: SLOW and GLITCHY.  Having to save frequently in an effort to capture my changes before a glitch hit and waiting and waiting and waiting for the darn thing to update, and frequently failing and having to restart.  So that's a comforting similarity-not.

However, after one of the glitches hit, my subcategories were randomly skewed into unrelated main categories! XXXX!  As I began to unwind the mess, and save frequently, usaa.com kept showing my randomly different versions of categories.  Sometimes categories would show up and sometimes they wouldn't. XXXX!

So I've decided to comply with ussa.com's wisdom ridden 11 category framework in order to avoid so much pain in trying to bend their rigid capability to my will but can't find a way to just reset to the default category/sub-categories. Does anyone know where the category reset to default button is?

9 REPLIES

Highlighted

2b-2b,

Thank you for posting your question and concerns. First, I have sent your experience to the technical team to see if they can fix the glitchy category assignments. I can only imagine how frustrating this process was for you. I have also asked if there is a "reset" functionality and will get back with you as soon as I have an answer. Please continue to share your thoughts and experiences using the My Budget tool.

For more information on the My Budget tool, you can also visit our Money Manager web page and reference the information under the My Budget section. We have also updated the Frequently Asked Questions page.

Highlighted

2b-2b,

Unfortunately, there is not a way to reset the default categories. Below is a listing of all of the default categories. I hope this helps:

AUTOMOTIVE

Automotive Expenses

Gasoline/Fuel

CHARITABLE GIVING

Charitable Giving

DEBTS

Credit Card Payments

Loans

ENTERTAINMENT

Entertainment

Travel

FOOD

Groceries

Restaurants/Dining

HOUSING

Cable/Satellite Services

Home Improvement

Home Maintenance

Mortgages

Online Services

Rent

Taxes

Telephone Services

Utilities

INSURANCE

Insurance

MEDICAL/DENTAL

Healthcare/Medical

MISCELLANEOUS

Advertising

ATM/Cash Withdrawals

Business Miscellaneous

Checks

Child/Dependent Expenses

Dues and Subscriptions

Education

Electronics

General Merchandise

Gifts

Hobbies

Office Maintenance

Office Supplies

Other Bills

Other Expenses

Pets/Pet Care

Postage and Shipping

Printing

Service Charges/Fees

Uncategorized

Wages Paid

PERSONAL CARE/CLOTHING

Clothing/Shoes

Personal Care

SAVINGS/INVESTMENTS

Savings

Securities Trades

Transfers

Retirement Contributions

Highlighted

It appears there are differing Main Categories being used.  For example, with the list you have provided, there are two categories listed under the Main Category "Debts" which include "Credit Card Payments" and "Loans".  However, if you access the option to Manage Categories from the transaction list for a particular Account Page instead of from the Track Budget Page, the Subcatergory of either "Loans" or "Credit Card Payments" will then be listed under the Main Category of "Investments or Savings".  This creates a problem for user wishes to remain their categories to the default name conventions used by USAA.

Highlighted

What are the default "Income" categories?

Highlighted

Hi Angsty Android,

The original/default income categories are as follows:

Consulting, Deposits, Expense Reimbursement, Interest, Investment Income, Other Income, Paychecks/Salary, Retirement Income, Sales, Services.

To manage categories on usaa.com, do the following:

1. Go to My Budget and select the Transactions link for any category that has a completed transaction in it, like Food.
  2. Select the category drop-down box on any individual completed transaction. It doesn’t matter which transaction.
  3. Select “Manage Categories” to see all available categories and sub-categories.
  4. Use the check boxes to show or hide categories.
  5. If desired, add, edit or delete any sub-categories.
  6. Click Save.

To manage categories on USAA mobile app, do the following:

1. Go to My Budget and select Edit Budget.
  2. Scroll to the bottom and select Add / Edit Categories.
  3. Use the check boxes to show or hide categories.
  4. If desired, add, edit or delete any sub-categories.
  5. Select Save and then Save Your Budget.
Highlighted

I've done some tinkering with USAA's My Budget spending categories and would like to reset the entire thing back to it's default settings. What are the default categories, in the exact order that they would normally appear?

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted

Hi jschwitzke89,

You can find the default categories listed in the comments above. (I moved your question to this thread in case another member has a similar question!)

Thank you!

Highlighted

Thank you!

Highlighted

I also want the default categories - prior - it allowed us to create our own categories - and now we can't edit them.  I don't use the old categories i created and i want the default reset on mine as well.