I am looking to get a personal loan but I want to know what USAA's requirements are to get one. I have a lot of debt I am hoping to consolidate. Please advise...

5 REPLIES

Thanks for the interest in a personal loan, EricBrown. While I understand it's your intention to use the loan to pay off existing debt, please know that we don't offer true debt consolidation loans, just the personal loans you are looking into. We consider each loan application on a "case-by-case" basis, and consider the full "360" view of your entire credit and account profiles when rendering a loan decision. We consider several factors such as both your USAA and credit profiles, including your debt to income ratio, ability to repay, banking account management, credit score, and history with USAA. Additionally, when you apply for a personal loan, we consider this new loan to be new debt in addition to the current debt you already have, even if you plan to pay off your existing accounts. This is because funds from a personal loan can be used for anything you want. We do not pay your creditors directly nor do we outline the accounts in your loan agreement that must be paid off.  For your convenience, you can apply online by clicking Products, then selecting Personal Loans. From there, provide the requested information and follow the prompts. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out, either via our secured chat option or here on social media. Just remember, I'm not able to provide specifics via social media due to security and privacy restrictions. I hope you have a great evening. 

USAAs response is BS. They do not take a 360 view or a case by case basis. Their computer denied me a small loan because my account is flagged due to fruad on my USAA account, where USAA is at least in part, at fault for failing to set appropriate controls for Youth Spending Accounts. I have a good credit score and means to pay.   I was told there is "no second look." 

USAA doesn't actually like to loan money. They are much more difficult to get a loan from than other institutions. 

Hello @MOM MAJ, we have received your post regarding the fraud on your youth account and this one regarding your loan request. Your feedback regarding both of these have been forwarded for further review. -Colleen

I advise you to avoid USAA's financial services at all costs!!! Terrible experience.

Audrizzle - Please see our response to your other post. Thanks, Jason