Highlighted
Contributor

Hi, I'm a retired E-7 who thought he had a decent 1/3/5 year finacial plan. I retired in 2010 with FY 2011 being my first year of the 1/3/5 year plan. Well, the 3 civilian jobs using my military experience fell through and I was forced back to my hometown to the home I owned along with my Mother. I quickly found a job that would meet my daily needs while I waited for other job oppurtunities.  I then learned my mother had borrowed against the home and most of her retirement income went to that cost so I took on more cost than I had planned. Again being a result focused worker, I started reinventing myself in retail. I had plans to move into management and perhaps into a regional role with the retailer. I continued to rely on both my pension and income but various emergency costs popped up and I started using more of my credit as a supplement income.

I hurt my back in the spring of 2013 which led to a Cancer diagnosis. I have had many procedures and was determined to be disabled, short term. I have thrown my 1/3/5 year plan out the window because I honestly only have a 40% chance of surviving another 5 years. I have an incredably high credit card debt (around $60K) and when first diagnosed thought, "Try to get it from me credit card companies!!". Well, I can't do that to my family (I'm single, no dependents) so please help me with a viable solution. I don't want to declare bankruptcy as that is not honorable. I've contacted the credit card companies but don't like the options offered. My family has helped finacially so I don't want that route. I've talked to my banking institution but their not really supportive due to both my employment status and my Cancer (i brought it up).

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this matter!

Karl Eckberg

1 REPLY

Highlighted

Dear Karl,

I am so very sorry to hear about your health diagnosis. I encourage you to contact our team of Financial Advisors here at USAA who can give you advice based on your specific situation and needs. They can be reached at 800-771-9960./p>

Wishing you luck and better health Karl. Thank you for posting.