Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
MONEY DOES MATTER but it doesn't seem the managment portfolio side ascribess to this motto

I used to BRAG about being a member of USAA and how wonderfull my managed portfolio was doing etc But lately its been lacking luster.

I understand when pur marlets are down I will take a hit....BUT when markets are at a historical HIGH and I am still loosing money....then SOMEONE is asleep at the helm.

My account may not be big , but its made up of my hard earn money, thus I am sure a competitor like Fidelity would be more than appreciattive to get my business and at least not lose money in an up market

6 REPLIES

Highlighted

Oh my! 2LT US Army Med Corp, I certainly appreciate your feedback and can understand how very important this is for you. To best assist you with this matter, I'm forwarding your concerns to one of our subject matter experts who will be in direct contact with you soon to further address your account in greater depth. Thank you for your continued patience and allowing us to research this issue for you. ~ Stacy

@2Lt   You may want to look at what you are invested in.   If there are a lot of USAA mutual funds, the investment fees are pretty steep.  You may be better off with Vanguard, Fidelity or Schwab.   I help manage my daughters' accounts.  One of my daughters picked a USAA fund and I picked a Vanguard fund for her and my fund has outperformed hers by a long shot.  She even had help from a USAA representative.  I am getting ready to sell her USAA fund and move everything into Vanguard. 

Highlighted
Thanks NSuez Your advise is better than USAAs profesional and I am in their managed portfolio area!

sop to them several times about their picks and all my requests fell on deaf ears so I after all these years I have decided to leave USAA and move all my investments out to a different company and will NEVER recommend USAA for any services besides insurance

Even their car loans and credit card rates are mediocre....
Highlighted

In regards to the comparison between vanguard and usaa mututal funds. This soley depend on what mutial funds you are referencing. Were both of these funds in the same sector?

Highlighted

@batman23      Yes funds were in the same sector -

as for the comparison in unrealized gain over the past 5 years

USAA fund - approx 15%

Vanguard fund - approx 62%

I did mention to a USAA rep about the high fees and poor returns and he said he would be willing to help me "rebalance" her account.  I declined as I don't want another USAA recommended fund.  I said that her 401(k) was already at Vanguard so we probably would just sell the USAA fund and transfer her account to Vanguard. 

Highlighted

I need to pile on to what NSueZ said. To achieve investment success in the long term, you need two key things: 1) discipline to regularly invest and stick with a thoughtful, steady plan & 2) LOW FEE funds. The impact of fees, even thoose that appear to be low like 1%, compound exponentially over time and have a very dramatic effect on your balance. Play around with this online fees tool to see for yourself how much you lose when your expense ratio is high.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/investingtruths/investing-truth-about-cost

If you know yourself well enough to understand that you have trouble staying the course when the market dips, then use a financial advisor (fee-based, fiduciary only) to help you keep the course. Otherwise, there is zero reason for you to be in an actively managed fund. I recommend the white paper below to educate yourself on why passive index fund investing is statistically the most successful investing method for almost all people (you aren't Buffet).

The case for passive index fund investing

Personally I have a long relationship with USAA and think they do many things great. I value the services they provide. However, I think they fall short in the area of investments. I have moved my investments into Vanguard funds and encourage all of my friends and family to do the same.