Highlighted
Contributor
18 years we’ve had this relationship. USAA gets my main deposit, car insurance, college saving, and main savings account. Yet they only approve me for a secured credit card! On the other hand I’ve been with Navy Federal for about 7 years and they have trusted me with a car loan (paid off), 2 high credit limit credit cards ( both very low balances), and 2 loans (paid off 1). Yeah USAA this relationship is not beneficial to one of us. Peace!

10 REPLIES

Highlighted

@Bye Felisha, we're saddened to learn that you're breaking up with USAA, especially after 18 years together. We'd hate to lose your business. Your concerns will be referred for additional review. ~DC

Highlighted

After 47 years, I am considering it too.  USAA has taken away my ability to transfer money market funds to my checking account.  When I log on, I want to go direct to my accounts but now we are given a page full of stuff I am not interested in.  Worse, there is no direct way I can go to my accounts that I can find.  Today, I found that USAA home insurance costs $600 more than a comparable insurance.  I'm also taking a closer look at my auto insurance.  I spend literally thousands of dollars a year for insurance but I'm not sure USAA is worth it anymore.  And I have a question.  Why is USAA spending so much money on expensive advertising campaigns?  The company seems to have lost focus.

Stan Gudmundson

Colonel, USAF (Ret)

Highlighted

This is the "new" USAA under Stuart Parker's leadership.  Don't confuse it with the "old" USAA that had great insurance prices no company could beat and fantastic customer service.  Now it is growth at all costs, extremely non-competitive insurance prices, horrible customer service, contracted out services and commercials.  I have posted many times, especially trying to contact upper management, but they have not contacted me as they apparently don't listen and don't care.  They got my money for 40 years and have apparently moved on to other suckers younger members who don't know about the "old" USAA.  I left with USAA for a substantial savings on my auto insurance.

Highlighted

Col, I noticed that a lot of members have started to say that over the past several years. I started with USAA back in the 1980s and I'm sure we'll both agree that much as changed since then. I did 98% of my insurance/banking/investment business with USAA, but today it's much smaller--just auto/homeowners. Like you, I'm now starting to rethink my loyalty even with that part of their business. It wouldn't take me long to find better options out there for my 18/13/12 year old vehicles and home. I just have to make a very small effort and do it. This company is so big that losing a few members wouldn't even scratch their surface. I'm sure Mr. Stuart is losing sleep over it--not. USAA put out the military family pitch but I doubt this CEO really understands it--especially with his short stint in the AF. 

Highlighted

@Bye Felisha, Good for you. All they would give my daughter was $300 CC as a grad student with big amount scholarships, GI Bill, etc coming in for her. When I took her to NFCU and made her a member using my 41yrs of loyalty--they started her out 30 times higher than that. That's when I decided to remove everything my wife and I had accumulated with USAA since the 1980s (CDs/SAV/CK/IRA/CCs/Investments) and moved them to NFCU/Vanguard--over two years ago.  I haven't turned back. With NFCU, my entire family gets better rates/returns and regular get offers for MMSA/Certificates for higher returns. USAA hasn't been my go-to source for a car loans for a very long time. In the coming months, I'll be looking  at my auto insurance as the premiums continue to go up on somewhat gutted out (no PIP, high deductible) policy on my 18/13/12 year old vehicles. I'm sure I could probably muster up a couple of quotes from other places and get better rates.  Next April we'll see about the homeowners policy. The senior leadership isn't worried about losing a few hundred customers when it has  8 million of them. I wonder if they even include those who have member numbers but no services with them.

Highlighted

@Bye Felisha,

Good for you. I just left USAA after they lowered my credit card limit from $20,000 to $500 for “This decision was based on your account inactivity for an extended period “...nothing about credit worthiness.  I have an 840 credit score and have had credit since 1973 without any issues.  I closed my credit card and CD’s with USAA and not looking back. 

Highlighted

@ wrote:

@Bye Felisha,

Good for you. I just left USAA after they lowered my credit card limit from $20,000 to $500 for “This decision was based on your account inactivity for an extended period “...nothing about credit worthiness.  I have an 840 credit score and have had credit since 1973 without any issues.  I closed my credit card and CD’s with USAA and not looking back. 

Did they tell you how much time they consider "extended" period? Guess my daughter's joke of a credit limit ($300) was probably closed at this point. I moved her to NFCU after that laugh. It just goes to show you that there are a lot of people at USAA that have a difficult time understanding members who have been around longer than some of their high-paying managers. I guess being smart with the way we use our CCs--isn't beneficial to USAA's profit margins. Common sense and customer service left USAA a very long time ago. It's mainly lip-service these days. But then--that's why I took my loyalty to another financial institution.

Highlighted

@ USAF Ret,

No they didn’t.  I know it had been a year. I had used the card to pay the moving company. 

USAA never reached out to see why I hadn’t used the card, until I got the letter of credit limit change. A phone call to ask if there was a reason I hadn’t used the card would have been a positive customer experience.  The new limit was a complete insult and a negative customer experience. 

Highlighted
@leavingnow, this is what happens when you let an algorithm make all the decisions, which is what USAA does now. They don’t make any decisions anymore, they throw your information into a computer and it spits out the answer for them. I remember getting a 5.89% offer for car loan with an 830 credit score and calling and they point blank told me there is nothing they could do and that was what their system told them to give. As USAF_ret said, they are so big now that any personal touch is gone.