Highlighted
Upset Consumer
Contributor

I'm writing this in hopes someone from the organization sees this. My husband is a border patrol agent affected by the shutdown. He is considered "essential personnel" therefore he is working without pay. Mind you he is also a Navy Chief and has 10 years in the Navy. Here's our dilemma, his direct deposit is with USAA. If we considered going to the numerous other institutions assisting their consumers we can't. Most furlough relief programs mandate the consumer has to have their direct deposit with the financial institution. Since non-essential personnel are on complete furlough status there is no one in the office to process the change request to get his direct deposit to another institution. USAA, you are 'effing us and yourself quite frankly because we can't pay on the numerous products and services we have with you! I'm a Compliance Officer at a financial institution in South Texas and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System issued a statement along 5 other regulating agencies including the FDIC ENCOURAGING financial institutions to work with consumers affected by the shutdown without examiners criticizing you to do so. It is beyond me as to why USAA isn't stepping up to help. You don't have any excuse when your FEDERAL REGULATOR is encouraging you to help and stating you won't face criticism from your examiners. As if you needed the bad publicity after how you mishandled stop payment requests and reopening closed accounts you do this. Believe me, you will be losing us as customers when the dust settles on this. https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/bcreg20190111a.htm

9 REPLIES

#JoinACreditUnion

@Upset Consumer, we understand that some of our non-military members are impacted by the current government shutdown, but given the difficulty in determining each federal department’s approach and each member’s status, we’ve had to limit this offer to active duty Coast Guard and NOAA Corps members. We encourage members to call us directly to discuss their specific situations, so we can help determine the best option for them. ~ Marco

After calling USAA I was informed the only assistance being offered is a personal loan at current rates above 8%

@Scooney, We are sorry to hear you are disappointed. We will pass your feedback along to the appropriate team.    ~Tom

That’s a total sham lie USAA. We have letters issued by our agency saying we are furloughed and working without pay. Stop with the generic responses all ready. Guess you won’t be getting my insurance and credit card payment

That's BS USAA! Every employee impacted recieved a letter informing them of their status. All USAA needs to do is ask for a copy of the employees furlough status to validate each member's claim. I've VERY disappointed with how USAA is handling this.

wrote:

, we understand that some of our non-military members are impacted by the current government shutdown, but given the difficulty in determining each federal department’s approach and each member’s status, we’ve had to limit this offer to active duty Coast Guard and NOAA Corps members. We encourage members to call us directly to discuss their specific situations, so we can help determine the best option for them. ~ Marco

I can't speak for other members, but I have contacted USAA directly to inquire about assistance for furloughed federal employees and I was told that assistance in the form of a loan is only available to Coast Guard and NOAA employees.  I'm not sure what "each federal department's approach and each member's status" has to do with anything.  It is very easy to verify whether a member is furloughed...you can request a copy of their furlough notice.  Regarding each federal department's approach, how about turn on the news--this is being reported and updated by every news outlet in the country.  I'm sure you have a research department, put them to work gathering details on "each federal department's approach".

It is not difficult to determine a members status. Every employee affected by the shutdown was issued a letter from their agency informing them of the furlough and whether or not the were considered essential ( have to work with no pay) or non-essential (no work no pay). Just have the customer submit their letter and you can determine their status quite easily. As a long time USAA member and an essential employee working without pay, I am beyond disappointed at USAA’s approach to this. Navy Federal Credit Union is offering no interest loans to ALL affected government employee members that have direct deposit set up. I will be moving my direct deposit (and all other products) to Navy Fed as soon as this mess is over. I was a huge USAA fan and praised their service until this assanign decision by USAA. I truly hope they reconsider...

I can't agree with you more.  I have been with USAA nearly 30 years and this is the FIRST time I have ever needed emergency financial assistance and the "best" offer was a non-secure personal loan.  I am considered non-essential and thus furloughed from DHS.  I find it very intersting that PENFED and NAVY FED are providing very low interest rates (well below USAA rates)  and zero interst rate loans, respectively, to active duty AND Government furloughed emplyees (of course you have to have an existing direct deposit).  Unfortunately, federal employees cannot change their direct deposit - HR is furloughed.  It is discouraging to see a company built by the military and its reputation does not consider veterans and retirees worthy enough for emergency assistance.  I suspect the number of customers you will probably lose from your management decision may be significant as compared to interest lost for zero interest emergency loans.