Highlighted
handyman01
Contributor

I'm extremely disappointed with USAA regarding how they have chosen to assist members impacted by the government shutdown.  Low interest loans are being provided to only members of the Coast Guard and NOAA.  I called in to get more information or some explanation as to why only those agencies and USAA offered no explanation nor did they offer any sort of assistance to me.  I've been with USAA for almost 20 years and I'm also a federal worker.  I'm not sure why some members are more deserving than others in times of need.  Meanwhile Navy Federal is offering assistance to anyone who has direct deposit with them.  Maybe it's time to make a switch. 

66 REPLIES

Hello, @handyman01. Thank for bringing your feedback to the USAA Community. I am very saddened to hear of your disappointment and will gladly share your feedback with the appropriate area. We will continue to evaluate this product offering against member value to help ensure it serves its purpose of easing the financial hardship that can result from a government shutdown and interruption in pay. In the meantime, please feel free to reach 800-531-8722 if you have any further inquiries regarding this. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Your voice is important to us. ~ Steven

I called them, they were not helpful and then put me on hold for 15 minutes.
Are you guys offering deferrments on payments as an option at all to those impacted by the shutdown?

wrote:
Are you guys offering deferrments on payments as an option at all to those impacted by the shutdown?

I followed up on this the other day.  They deffered my auto loan of 30 days.  I was told this can only be done once per year.  When I inquired about my home mortage I was told "We have no plans in place to assist with your home Mortage.  In order to receive any form of assistance your mortage has to be 30 days in arears." The way I understand this is, USAA will not help out until I have gone delinquent on my account.  WOW, thats a great help, thanks USAA.

@MainecoastieSo we can review your account to help determine the best option for you, please contact our Lending Servicing Team at 210-531-8722 or select Contact Us from the HELP tab to initiate a secure online chat 24/7. -Emily

I am actually going to move our direct deposit to Navy Fed after this shutdown.

Yep we will be moving our finances elsewhere after this Shutdown is over, ridiculous that our small hometown bank is willing to offer us more than a large organization, especially when you have been customers of theirs for two years, and USAA for over 15. 

@navyvetHM, thank you for being with us over 15 years. We encourage you to call us directly to discuss your specific situation, so we can help determine the best option for you. Thank you   ~Tom

Our voice is not important to USAA. You ignored the members when it came to the NFL and now doing the same. I have 2 sons with CBP, one also served in the Navy Reserve, and you offer nothing but hollow words. I have been with you since I was at the Air Force Academy and I'm sorry I recommended USAA to them. So go ahead and send me a canned response.