Not usually one to announce my departure, but leaving USAA almost feels like a real divorce.

I joined in 96, I was a young airman, they had recently opened up from just officers to letting us lowly enlisted join their cool club.

It went great for a long time.

But USAA, you’ve changed. You know it’s true. You’re something else now.

I’ve been unhappy for a while, but you don’t just leave a 24 year relationship over some bad customer service. People have bad days, I’m as guilty as the next. Never mind that the bad days are working in the half decade mark, I was willing to stick it out. You were there for me when I was 19 and I needed insurance in Europe!

But USAA, you don’t care about me any more. Shhhh, you know it’s true.

You took one set of my investments and moved them to Charles Schwabb, this hoity YouTube rich guy club where I’ll never belong. You took my kids money and moved it over to some used car salesman sounding place I’ve never heard of.

You make me wait on hold and punch 90 numbers just to talk to somebody who makes it clear I’m bothering them.

You worked so hard for me, and then you gave my money to a company that never once reached out to me or made me feel valued.

It’s not me, it’s you.

I don’t wish you well. I wish you bad things and I hope you fall hard on your greed. I hope that before you declare bankruptcy, that you have a moment of reflection of what you once were...and then you look in the mirror and see what you have become.

Good day and good riddance.

7 REPLIES

Hi James, it's certainly hard to hear this after 24 years of membership, I am going to share your post for further review, we appreciate your feedback. ~Shawna

Smart move.  I left USAA after 40 years.  This version of USAA is not the company it once was.  

37 year member and for most of that time a cheerleader for all things USAA. Your divorce analogy is pretty accurate, the idea of being with something/someone you thought would always be faithful, then discovering they've competely changed and don't care about you at all. USAA has become a toxic company on so many levels and, though the process was a bit of a nuisance, I am very relieved by my "divorce." USAA always had something no other financial services and insurance company had- integrity and honor. With those no gone, there is no longer any reason whatsoever to be with USAA, and many compelling reasons not to.

25+ year member, reading and hearing you loud and clear, even if USAA doesn't. Let me know how long it takes to get your Subscriber Account check in the mail.  I'm ready to take my money and run with you.

I hate to say it, but I'm not far behind you.  I joined in '86 and never considered another company but I guess I have to now.  USAA's biggest attraction by far was that it was so easy doing business with....one stop shopping for all your investment and insurance needs.  That's gone now.  I don't know what competitive advantage USAA thinks it still has, but I'm not seeing any.  Hate to see the company go down the tubes but I guess all good things must come to an end....and the end is in sight for USAA.

Yikes @BoiseRocks this isn't good to hear and I would like to hear on your experience that wasn't met to your standards. Please if you would send a message with what has happened to make you feel this way so I can help into making things right. - Ralph  

@Conway87, please know we value your 25+ year membership and would like an opportunity to address your concerns. Please let me know how I can be of assistance. Thank you. -Cynthia