Highlighted

JennaSB, I have also had the same issue. I call in before every trip I take over seas to see if I can get an Chip card but they wont give me one. So I end up having to use my Amex card because while as every rep tells me they are still able to take non chip and pin card its a huge hassle to do it...Waited over 20 minutes for a cup of coffee because they had to manually call the transaction in.....long story short a nightmare.

Highlighted

Hello All,

USAA is currently in the process of converting all credit cards to Chip Cards.  USAA expects to have all members’ credit and debit cards replaced by early 2016. Thank you

Highlighted

Briana,

I understand this is the plan for the entirety of USAA, but for the minoirty of us who travel overseas, there needs to be an avenue for early transition. I would like to stay with USAA, but I dislike the fact that to travel I have to use my USAA credit card, which charges interest, when I have the money in checking.

This is the nature of my previous post, there must be a way to upgrade to EMV cards prior to the group conversion.

Highlighted

Hi Jenna,

At this time USAA is not prepared to offer Chip Debit Cards. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for commenting.

Highlighted

Additionally, please note you can find more information on this subject here: https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/faq_Chip_and_PIN_Cards_FAQs_index

Highlighted
Given all of the 2013 Holiday Breaches, I think the switch to EMV cards should be mandatory. Americans should have been leading this charge not playing catch up. If you're not the lead dog...
Highlighted

I just called member services today to request a chip and pin card for the card linked to my checking account (my debit card) and was told these cards are not available for debit cards, only for credit cards.

I was transferred to credit card services and was told there that these kinds of cards are only offered for Master Card credit cards, not Visa. 

Any idea when these cards will be available for all my cards? I travel to Europe twice a year and not being able to fill up at gas stations that only accept "chip" cards is sometimes a problem.

Highlighted

I agree that it is indeed a major issue. I travel between Montreal and the US several times a month for work and to Europe every few months and not having a chip and pin can cause issues from time to time. While USAA simple states every time I talk to them that a merchant that takes mastercard and visa chip and pins must take a non chip and pin card this is just a huge hassle, and for little mom and pop shops its not always the case. 

As for the answer to your question. Right now USAA is issuing C&P cards to those what were effected by the target security issue. So no other user can request a mastercard with C&P until March 14th, and as for visa and debit cards I would expect to see USAA start issuing them later this year. USAA is always on the forefront of introducing new products to their clients, and while most banks will wait as long as possible USAA is not like that(as evident by this forum where members have been getting C&P cards since last year when they were not even in the general conversation about banking security). 

Highlighted

Without my doing anything, I was issued a new old-school magnetic stripe Mastercard to replace the number that had been hacked at Target. I would have prefered to get an EMV chip&pin card, but did not ask before I was issued a new mag-stripe card and number.

Perhaps what's happening is that first priority is being given to those that request an EMV (Euro MC and Visa) card AND were subject to the Target hack.

On the other hand, I would be surprised if a squeeky wheel doesn't get some grease: if you insist that you want/need an EMV card and have a trip outside the USA before Mar 14, 2014, seems like USAA would see the rationale and respond.

I'm also curious if a US-issued EMV card can be used to rent bikes at the automatic bicyle stations all over Paris, London, etc. Hopefully.

On the positive side, somehow all my automatic Mastercard payments that used the old number seem to have been automatically notified of the new number. Kudos for that. 

Highlighted

The representatives that I spoke with were all very firm on the fact that they can not issue C&P cards until March 14th no matter if you had a trip between then and now. This is what surprised me the most from USAA was that they are usually very on top of things, and really go above and beyond for their clients. While I have an Amex that has chip and pin and my trip to Switzerland next month will be fine but not as I had wanted with trying to move everything to USAA to make it easier. 

However, the 14th will be here sooner than later and I will finally be able to move everything to USAA as I wanted.