Highlighted

I got my chip and pin USAA card last year. I think I had to call and request it.

Highlighted

Please give our member services representatives a call at 1-800-531-8722, or via the contact us link on usaa.com. 

Highlighted

It looks like MC and Visa have a Oct. 2015 deadline for the liabiity shift.  Huge changes in the retailer POS market for the next 12-18 months.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/payments-experts-assure-senate-that-swipe-and-sign-cards-wil...

Highlighted

Interesting....  I just called to request a card, and was told they're unavailable until March 14th :(

Highlighted

I just called to request one but was told from the first representative 2 week and then the second representative told me March 14th. As someone who travels internationally nearly once to twice a week for work this is an important thing that I want to have for personal purchases instead of carrying cash. I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed in USAA for the first time as a member since this is not the service I expected to get from them. While I understand that they are working on getting those who were effected by the Target security problem their cards first I don't see why they should shut down their entire system for other users. 

Highlighted

I just called today.

apparently their system for taking chip and pin card orders "is down as of this morning" and they do not know when it will be up.

I'm in the Netherlands right now, had to find an ATM to buy a train ticket.  The train station won't take anything but a chip and pin.  Has happened multiple times with cabbies worldwide too.  I didn't even know USAA had one till I read it here: http://lifehacker.com/the-best-banks-that-protect-your-money-from-hackers-and-1523977088

but they won't give them out anymore apparently. There is no way to order them at all.

Highlighted

but I just called American Express and their card is in the mail.... At least I'll have a credit card I can use overseas - it just won't be USAA

Highlighted

Yeah I had the same issue. I have spoken with various people from USAA and I have been told that it will not be until March 14th that USAA can again issue chip and pin cards(some reps say it could be sooner but there not sure). Then I get the whole story line of don't worry any merchant that takes visa & mastercard HAVE to take a non chip and pin card. What makes me so mad as you even stated that's not the case. I have gone into many small shops or hailed a cab and end up having to pay cash because they don't take such things. 

As I mentioned in my original post this is indeed a HUGE downgrade on the quality of service I expect from USAA. 

Highlighted

I am calling BS on the response from USAA where they state you can "simply request an EMV card if you are traveling overseas."  I called USAA twice (7/9/15 and 7/10/15) and specifically requested EMV cards for my upcoming vacation.  I wanted my Debit cards transtitioned, as I like to spend money I have, as opposed to money I don't (credit card). 

On both occasions, I was told that there is no way to specifically order EMV cards for my checking/debit account. They will be upgraded sometime betweeh now and "early 2016." Gee thanks, USAA. This is a very broad timeline, and months past the October 2015 deadline. I could, however, upgrade my credit cards easily. Of course I can, I would have to pay interest on those purchases (note: sarcastic and slightly disgusted tone is inferred)

If there is a specific number to call, where the customer service reps know exactly the process for issuing EMV cards for my checking account / debut cards, please let me know, but I cannot seem to find anyone at USAA who is willing/capable of doing as I have requested. I would actually enjoy spending money on vacation, so there is that.

Jernna

Highlighted

JennaSB,

I am looking into this matter further for you. Once I have a response, I will post here. Thank you.