Highlighted
Contributor
I’ve had the absolute worst experience with USAA and their member service reps. I was being harassed with multiple calls for a payment that I missed. I know as the consumer that the payment was owed, however due to the current global pandemic I was unable to make my payment. USAA Called me more than 10 times within a period of a week. I then called USAA and ask them to please stop calling me because I knew the payment was due but I had lost my job due to COVID-19 , and the rep told me that she would place me on the do not call list. That same day the USAA rep called me and again ask for a payment for the credit card. I explain to the rep that I called earlier that day and place myself on the do not call list. She apologized and said that she would update the account because she didn’t see any notes on the account. Two days later I got a call from a USAA rep asking for a payment on the credit card. I was very frustrated by this time because I had already spoken to two reps and ask him to place me on the do not call list. At this point I submitted a complaint to the CFPB because of the harassing calls. I gave multiple dates that the harassing calls were taking place and when USAA responded to the complaint they said that I never called to place myself on the do not call list. USAA member representatives blatantly lied on the CFPB complaint when I have recorded calls of me being asked three separate times to please do not call me anymore. This is the worst company I’ve ever bank with and as soon as I can pay off my account I will be closing them. I bank with Navy Federal credit union and I’ve never had any issues with them and they are way more helpful and their member service is out of this world. USAA member service reps and departments that reply are nothing but liars. I got an inbox message from a USAA rep that told me to call her in regards to the complaint and I’ve called and left a message twice and I’ve also replied to the inbox message over the period of 10 days and she never called me back. If you bank with USAA you will not be happy with how they treat their members. I feel like just a number to them. Like I said absolutely the worst financial institution to go with. GO WITH NFCU! You will be so much happier

3 REPLIES

Highlighted

I will forward your feedback to the appropriate area to review what transpired. 

Highlighted
I also use both usaa and nfcu. And I have found some good and bad with both. The main differences are that usaa gives you more room to manage your accounts as a value customer and nfcu tries to manage you more and doesn't want to make mistakes. Usaa by far treats you as an adult. Major Dan 2 will continue to use both strengths, usaa will be my bank.
Highlighted

wrote:
I also use both usaa and nfcu. And I have found some good and bad with both. The main differences are that usaa gives you more room to manage your accounts as a value customer and nfcu tries to manage you more and doesn't want to make mistakes. Usaa by far treats you as an adult. Major Dan 2 will continue to use both strengths, usaa will be my bank.

I banked with both since the 1980s (NFCU since the mid 1970s. Left USAA a couple years ago). So I guess all those USAA members who had their accounts locked out for one reason or another--and had a difficult time getting help from USAA were allowed to manage their accounts as valued customers? There are plenty of instances reported in this website. NFCU tries to manage you and doesn't want to make mistakes? You mean like USAA allowing merchants to place charges on credit/debit cards--even when customers try to tell them that a charge is not valid? And when they try to get USAA to credit their accounts--USAA either takes their sweet time or says the charges are "valid." You might want to review the Jan 3, 2019 MilitaryTimes article about some of the mistakes that USAA made. USAA treats you like an adult? I beg to differ with you in that respect. Maybe for you--but not this long time member. On at least three occasions back in 2017, I had the previlege of being treated like an infant when I tried closing my bank/cc accounts. A USAA rep (who sounded half my age) even told me: "I didn't know what I was doing and would be making a big mistake if I closed them." I'm sure there are a lot of members who would also beg to differ with you.  About the only thing we might agree on--is that there are some pros and cons between the two financial institutions. But one thing is for sure, I've been a member with NFCU since 1977 and at least in my case--have never had an issue with any of their banking/cc services or products. Maybe I'm fortunate. USAA was like that when I first joined them back in the mid 1980s. Things started changing around the time they discontinued their Mastercard program, and outsourcing their mortgage services. Fortunately, I moved my investments out of USAA about three years before Victory Capital/ Schwab takeover--and moved to Vanguard. Yes, our beloved USAA is changing to meet the new business challenges. They are much bigger than they were 30+yrs ago and are advertising a lot more on TV. :-) Let's hope their insurance product doesn't take a hit. I'd hate to have to find an alternative. :-)