Highlighted
Contributor

This scenario just happened to me, as well--made an ATM deposit yesterday, funds are still on hold today. After a phone call and prolonged hold time (unusual for USAA), no resolution was reached. As we need the funds for a down payment, we will have to cancel an appointment to purchase a vehicle this evening, at considerable inconvenience to us (will need to make additional work and child care arrangements to make do with one car and finalize vehicle purchase another time).This is after a similar situation happened two years ago, at which time I was able to place a simple call and have the hold removed. I have never, in my 35 years+ interaction with USAA (my parents were members, and I have done all my own insurance, banking and finance through USAA since the age of 15), experienced such a dearth of customer service. This is not your dad's USAA.

6 REPLIES

Highlighted
This also occurred with me and I am very upset about it. So much so that I will be leaving USAA banking. I have already chosen to no longer utilize their auto insurance because of another issue. Seems like USAA is forgetting about the "serving" mantra. I now have a negative balance with overdraft fees pending due to a hold. I was told they have the right to hold deposits. Just as I now have the right to find a different bank.
Highlighted

KCOPPIN,

I can only imagine how frustrated you are given the circumstances. We want to make sure that we have one of our contacts in the bank review your situation to see if there's something USAA can do. If you don't mind providing a few additional details, by clicking here,  we can have one of our team members review your account.

I deposited a paycheck from a reputable and repeatedly used source and we had a $2 debit declined in front of family over the Thanksgiving holiday due to this hold. Pretty embarrassing. But I sincerely hope you are able to assist KCOPPIN as is appears they have been put through more grief as a result of USAA's intermittent use of policies. I'm 100% certain I will receive better service elsewhere.
Highlighted

I'm trying to understand why someone would go through the hassle of making an ATM deposit, just to turn around and withdraw it right back out again the next day.  Unless you make the deposit at the bank itself, it always takes a few days for everything to post.

Highlighted
I'm not sure what vikesfan77 is referring to because neither of the issues explained by the originator of this thread or me involved that scenario. I deposited a check received for a service I provided so as to have some spending funds available over the holiday. I have never heard of usaa taking a few days to makes funds available through an ATM deposit in the 21st century. But who knows what experience you've had. However, there are several reasons one might deposit via ATM and attempt to withdraw the next day.
Highlighted

I have been with USAA for years and I will stay for many more. I have worked for Bank of America so I understand the policies and procedures of banking. I recall the day that USAA called me and told me that they were going to drop my insurance policy. I have had my paycheck held unexpectedly just as I was going to take a twelve hour drive down to see my son, so having access to my funds was extremely important. 

At the end of the day, I was frustrated but after speaking to a representative I was able to get the hold removed and from that point on I deposited my funds into the account that carried the larger balance history. Eventually, my employer was able to offer direct deposit so I don't worry about that being held anymore. I do know NOW that if it's an unusual deposit amount to be sure to put it the alternate account or wait for the hold to drop off.

Considering you were planning to purchase a vehicle, I can only suggest that you when you move your accounts be sure to read the policies and procedures surrounding holds. Your history with any banking institution plays a huge factor in the hold times. Also, if it's a large amount the "automated teller machin" (ATM) will place a standard hold time due to inconsiderate individuals in our world who took advantage of the system in the beginning and took money that did not belong to them.

So if you cannot go inside and deposit with a "person" just understand the policies and procedures and be patient. When I worked for the banking industry I took it upon myself to contact other banks to determine if checks had cleared before releasing a hold on my customers account. I worked in a call-center where I had the authority to put my position in the hands of customers based on the information they gave. I reviewed their history, average balances, returned items everything possible because personally I did not know the person on the other end of the phone line. I did my job well.

USAA representatives do their jobs very well. I have finally gotten my insurance back with them thankfully. I have had exactly one representative that was in my opinion "off". Though she is probably still working their I will not leave USAA because she had a bad day.

My kids all bank with USAA and I tell all my family members that can join to check them out, compare them to other institutions, for me they are a top-notch financial institution. I am a very proud USAA member.