Highlighted
Contributor

I'd like to comment on the post by 727, who complained about bad customer service in respect to a delay in USAA receiving a deposit envelope.  During the telephone discussion, the USAA representative suggested that 727 contact the USPS to track the envelope, which 727 dismissed as a "stupid" idea.  At first blush, the concept of the USPS tracking a single piece of first class mail may seem unbelievable, but they can do it.  About seven years ago, I mailed my mortgage payment to Wells Fargo three weeks early, as I was going on a vacation.  When I received the next month's statement, I was surprised to see that the payment had been received late.  I called Wells Fargo, they checked their records, and confirmed late receipt.  The late payment was $25, plus a referral to the Experian, etc.  I politely explained the situation, with no supporting documents other than my word of the mailing date.  Wells Fargo said they would check and get back to me.  They did, and indicated that they were able to backtrack through the USPS to obtain the mailing date.  I assume this process relies on the bar code sticker on first class mail, and that apparently the mail is logged out at the post office and in at Wells Fargo.  WF was kind enough to waive the late fee and the negative credit report.  The WF representative, as with the USAA reps I've dealt with over the years, was unfailingly polite and friendly, and provided exceptional service.  So, the USPS may have its problems, but if needed, can indeed track a single piece of first-class mail.

On another matter, I've been a manager for small and large environmental remediation companies for many years, and now run a small non-profit organization.  Respect for your peers, subordinates and senior management goes a long way toward personal satisfaction and a successful career.  Call centers are the rule these days, the folks answering the phones have a tough job, and nobody is perfect.  But, it's a safe bet that the person answering the phone will be more inclined to help if you are polite than if otherwise.  I'd rather not have the representative gritting his/her teeth to simply get through the call, but try to help knowing I'm not going to be a rude PITA in the process.  About once a year, I read "The No A**h*** Rule" by Robert Sutton, to remind myself how easy it is to slip into an obnoxious mindset in the workplace.  It hurts to look in the mirror and realize you're there, and life is too short to be an SOB to co-workers and those who earn their livings in call centers and other careers that you may have the good fortune to avoid.