Highlighted

*Update* USAA identified and resolved an internal technical issue Sunday that impacted credit and debit card transactions. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience while our systems return back to normal.

Highlighted

Between technical glitches, cyber-fraud, and ever increasing cyber-attacks on financial institutions, I never expect USAA's or any bank's electronic system to be failsafe 100% of the time.  That's just naive, or stupid, take your pick.  

That's also why my husband and I each carry a $100 and $50 bill tucked into a slot in our wallets with our AAA membership cards - because one never knows.  I started carrying a big bill with me at all times way back when I was a self-supprting college student and barely had two nickels to rub together.

I can only think of one occasion in the past 15 years when the cash was required and the reason had nothing to do with non-working ATMs or credit cards.  The stash might not amount to enough to cover every emergency, but it provides some peace of mind for small emergencies and inconveniences, nonetheless.  

I think having an account and an debit/ATM card for a local bank in addition to USAA is equally important since USAA's bank is many states away from omost members' locations.  Our local bank doesn't have much of our money on deposit, but it's enough to qualify for free checking and ability to rent a safe deposit box at the branch office down the street.  In the event of a problem with accessing our USAA accounts, the local bank holds enough to get by for at week or two until USAA banking services are resolved or restored.  

And no, one doesn't need to have gobs of money to prepared for life's inevitable inconveniences - just a bit of common sense and planning.  

I recommend www.youneedabudget.com  for anyone who disagrees with me.  Buffer yourself.  ;-)

Highlighted

I agree that having your card declined, especially when you have the money to cover the charge, totally sucks. I also agree with some of the previous posters though that you need a Plan B at all times. I admit that my Plan B isn't as fool-proof as it once was since I used to carry a credit card from another institution but have sense got rid of it. I do have debit cards from two accounts as well as two USAA credit cards. If one card doesn't work for some reason, whip out the next one!

Carrying a little cash is always a good idea, as much as I find it bothersome. We also keep a fair amount of cash at home in the safe in case something big goes down (earthquake or similar) and our regular networks are down for an extended period of time. The likelihood of that happening, at least in the short term, is low, but the impact would be so great that it is absolutely worth the effort of planning. I recommend everyone have some sort of back-up plan in place.

Highlighted

So I was "that person" at the grocery store standing at the front of customer service with a cart full of bags and couldn't pay for any of it. Thanks to USAA for this debit card issue and not notifying anyone until AFTER the fact. I was unable to pay for my groceries and had to call a friend to come to the store to bail me out. Absolutely unreal. Thought USAA was better than this. Thinking of taking my banking business elsewhere. It was the most morifying experience. Thanks USAA.

Highlighted

Coastie,

I definitely understand your frustration.  Keep in mind that technology is nowhere close to infallible, and issues like this are more common that you are probably aware (just do a google search).  The system can break down in a number of places (within and outside the control of the bank) and normally takes a bit of time to troubleshoot and fix.

Hopefully the lesson that can be taken from this is to always be prepared with a back up funding method.  I have a back up credit card (or 2) and normally hide a couple $20 in my wallet in case of emergency.

On Geico, I had them before and wouldn't use them again, but that is just me.  I did a recent price comparison of all the major insurance companies and Geico was the only one that was even competitive.  Their maximums on Bodily Injury and Medical Payments are lower than USAA, but their rates are close.  Of course, they don't give back any of the premiums like USAA.  Keep in mind, insurance rate vary by individual based on various factors such as location, history, credit, and driving styles.

Best of luck where every you end up.

Highlighted
We live in Arkansas... we were out at dinner and was told that our card declined! That was so embarrassing!!! I later tried to get money out the ATM... That didn't even work... We have plenty in there... What is going on??!!
Highlighted

Technical problems which do happen sometimes.

Last update I've seen:

"USAA identified and resolved an internal technical issue Sunday that impacted credit and debit card transactions. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience while our systems return back to normal."

Highlighted

I was trying to buy groceries and couldn't because my debit card was declined. I had more than enough money in there. Running it as a credit didn't work , and pulling money out of the ATM didn't work. It was absolutely MORTIFYING. I am beyond livid that USAA didn't post something about it sooner. Thinking of taking my banking business elsewhere. Not Cool, USAA.

Highlighted
I had this problem SATURDAY MORNING and was informed that it was a KNOWN ISSUE... "Working on it"

Poor communications
Highlighted

Tried making an online purchase this evening using my debit card as a credit card and it was declined. Have plenty of money in the acct. Son tried the same thing and it happened to him as well. Anyone else having this problem?