Highlighted
Contributor

I'm a loyal 30yr USAA member ready to close my accounts. USAA offered a 0%/0 fee balance transfer through May 2015.  What a great deal!  Except that now I'm being charged 6% interest every month on purchases even though I pay off all of my monthly purchases.  USAA's reason: They eliminated the grace period because I am not paying off the entire monthly balance which includes the supposed 0% balance transfer.

The balance transfer and monthly purchases should be separated until May 2015. There is even a place to do that on the statement (page 3).

SO DISHONEST!

After an hour+ on the phone, they refuse to fix it. I am extremely disappointed by USAA's balance transfer bait and switch. How do I get in contact with a resolution team?

4 REPLIES

Highlighted

Sir/Ma'am,

I can only imagine how frustrated you are given the circumstances. We want to make sure that we have one of our contacts in the bank review your situation to see if there's something USAA can do. I realize you have already spoken to a representative, but If you don't mind providing a few additional details, by clicking here,  we can have one of our team members review your account.

Highlighted

I wanted to see what the answer to this question was.  I just recieved a USAA credit card, transferred two high interest credit cards to the 0% interest and have charged a few items.  I do not want that $300 in charges to accrue interest until I pay off the balance transfers.  Could you explain if that is indeed the way this will work?

Thank you,

Leslie

Highlighted
My advice to you is to return that $300 in purchases and not use your USAA credit card until the balance transfers are paid off. Basically, even if you pay off the balance of new purchases (and include extra to pay down the balance transfer), your statement continues to show a balance (until the 0% transfer is paid off) and negates any grace period on new purchases. New purchases will accrue interest from the day they are purchased. Your grace period is nonexistent as long as a balance shows. You are not charged interest on the balance transfer, but it is shown as part of your balance that is carried forward month to month. You are better off not charging anything until the transfer is paid.
Highlighted

thanks for letting me know!  I will not be charging anything else!!  Unfortunately, what I charged can't be returned (hotel and car rental)

I, like you, assumed that the balance transfers and the new charges would be separated and any payments I made would go first to the new charges.  Hopefully I can pay off the balance transfers quickly!!