Highlighted
Contributor

Hello all, I hope this is appropriate for this forum.

After a long marriage and unfortunate divorce, I am left trying to rebuild my credit. I used the site many recommended called CreditKarma to get an assessment of where I'm at and found I have a multitude of medical bills. I'm actually not even sure how I have such high balances as I had insurance the whole time the procedures were done.

I guess my question is , Does anyone recommend a service or perhaps a do it yourself approach that works as I really want to work towards improving things?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

3 REPLIES

Highlighted

If you had insurance at the time of these services, I would suggest pulling up your EOBs (Explanation of Benefits that your insurance carrier would have sent to you as it received these medical claims and processed them).  It will show you what the medical provider charged, what hte insurance discount(negotiated charge) was, what the insurance paid out, and how much you should be responsible for (per the terms of your insurance contract).

You will receive an EOB as long as the medical provider submitted a claim to the insurance company.

You will receive an EOB even on denied claims. (again, as long as hte medical provider submitted it to the insurance company's attention)

*** this is slightly more complicated if you had more than one insurance policy at hte same time.

Then try to match those medical providers listed on the EOBs with the debt holders listed on your credit.  It is very possible that the medical provider sold off your debt and it is now showing under a different company.  You may decide to contact the medical provider's office (Accounts Receivable department) and ask them the status of your account.

**** If you are seriously considering not paying these balances (after you've verified they are yours), you might want to review the statute of limitations on debt, in particularly medical debt, for the state that you currently live and the state that the service was provided.  I have seen online mention that certain events, such as making a partial payment can "reset" the statute of limitations (essentially roll the clock back and keep it an enforceable debt for even longer).  However I AM NOT A DEBT/LEGAL EXPERT.

Another question to ask yourself -- Did all the medical providers have accurate insurance data on file for you? If their information was incorrect or outdated, then their claim was likely denied and they are expecting the whole amount from you.

Also, some medical providers are so bad at billing.  I had a lab company never bill me directly and immediately turn it to collections.  I hadn't actually contracted directly with the lab company; my physician contracted with the lab to process a medical sample.  To confirm that the lab company was actually owed money, I looked over my EOBs from that date of service and I called the doctor to ask them directly about the lab that processed my sample.  Now that I verified the balance against the EOB and I verified the company, I then paid the bill and emphatically told the lab company that this had better not show up on my credit report.

Highlighted

Thank You so much for your thorough reply. I definitely had one insurance and if the bills are legitimate I will pay. But it seems offly high.

I appreciate the info and now I have somewhere to start.

Tom

Highlighted
Tom, you do NOT need a third-party credit repair service. In addition to the excellent advice EEE3 provided, try a site called CreditBoards dot com.