I've just recently started using a credit card, so I'm still learning all the lingo when it comes to your statement and due date and how paying early will help your credit score. I've also come to learn that there's such thing as a grace period that allows you not to accrue interest on your balance past the due date. What I'm trying to find is information on when that grace period applies and how long it lasts. When do you need to pay off the balance that is current during the grace period? If anyone can offer any information on this or provide a source that might be able to answer some of my questions that'd be much appreciated. Thank You.

Most Helpful

@JohSmith1, we will not charge you interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month. If the previous statement balance includes purchases only and is paid in full by the due date, USAA offers a grace period on new purchases that will display on the following month’s statement. If the previous statement balance is not paid in full, the grace period for purchases on the previous statement is forfeited and all purchases are subject to finance charges from the date of the original purchase. The grace period is regained for purchases each time the statement balance is paid in full by the due date. Regardless of whether the previous month's balance is paid in full, cash advances accrue finance charges from the date of posting to the account until the date the entire cash advance balance is paid in full. Finance charges are added to the account when the previous statement balance is not paid in full by the due date or if a cash advance, balance transfer, or convenience check is posted to the account. When there is no minimum payment due, finance charges will continue to accrue in accordance with the terms of the credit card agreement. A cardholder forfeits the grace period when purchases are made on an account with a promotional APR on balance transfers or convenience checks. You can also review your USAA Credit Card Agreement online by accessing your credit card account and do a search for "grace period" for details. Thank you. - Rhonda 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES

@JohnSmith1, thank you for your inquiry regarding your credit card account. Your due date is at least 25 days after the close of each billing cycle. We will begin charging interest on purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers on the transaction date until they are paid. However, we will not charge you interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month. We are not credit counselors; therefore, we are unable to provide guidance on how to help your credit score but you may consider visiting the Education section on experian.com for helpful tips. I hope this helps. Thank you. - Rhonda 

Thank you for getting back to me. Do you have any information on the grace period provided by USAA Credit Cards? When does a grace period take affect? How long does a grace period last?

@JohSmith1, we will not charge you interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month. If the previous statement balance includes purchases only and is paid in full by the due date, USAA offers a grace period on new purchases that will display on the following month’s statement. If the previous statement balance is not paid in full, the grace period for purchases on the previous statement is forfeited and all purchases are subject to finance charges from the date of the original purchase. The grace period is regained for purchases each time the statement balance is paid in full by the due date. Regardless of whether the previous month's balance is paid in full, cash advances accrue finance charges from the date of posting to the account until the date the entire cash advance balance is paid in full. Finance charges are added to the account when the previous statement balance is not paid in full by the due date or if a cash advance, balance transfer, or convenience check is posted to the account. When there is no minimum payment due, finance charges will continue to accrue in accordance with the terms of the credit card agreement. A cardholder forfeits the grace period when purchases are made on an account with a promotional APR on balance transfers or convenience checks. You can also review your USAA Credit Card Agreement online by accessing your credit card account and do a search for "grace period" for details. Thank you. - Rhonda 

View solution in original post