Highlighted
Contributor
Is this available now? If so, how does it work with retailers using the card?

4 REPLIES

Highlighted

Most banks have transitioned to using RFID cards. They aren't using the magnetic strips like they used to. You can identify it by specific symbols on your card. If it has a similar symbol to what looks like the volume control button ))) or if it says paypass then it most likely has one in it. If yo uhave questions then definitely contact your card company and ask if it it has it. However, keep in mind that the problem with this is that it can lead to identity theft easier. Due to the enhancement of technology it makes it easier for banks and merchants to use, but what consumers do not understand that your cards emit through radio frequency electromagnetic fields all your personal information with in the chip of the card. Unless you carry your cards in an RFID protective sleeve or RFID protected wallet, anyone with a home made credit card scanner/reader with in a few feet can walk by and scan you card without it even leaving your wallet or pocket. If you can't afford these protective items, then use aluminum foil and wrap it around your card. Yes this may seem unecessary, but I would rather have something protecting my information than nothing at all. Even newer passports use this technology. 

Highlighted

Aluminum foil will not completely block an RFID signal.  It will just force the one trying to capture the signal to be much closer to the card to get the signal.  The best is to disable it, but who knows how long that will be good for.  My guess is the banks will begin phasing out magnetic strips eventually.

Highlighted

Don't use any card with RFID. Are you trying to have your financial life compromised?

Highlighted

"Chip & PIN" and "RFID" are two different card formats.

"Chip & PIN" is a smart card (looks like a CAC with the multi-contact gold/copper pad at one end).  This is the emerging standard already used in Europe, which requires the card to be insrted and PIN entered.

RFID cards just need to be touched against or waved near a reader.