Highlighted
Contributor
I am 21 years old with no established credit, and I am looking to move into my first apartment. I do pay bills for my car, insurance, school, etc, but they are all under my parents name, and I pay my parents. What is the best way for me to build credit, to get approved for an apartment? Are there any ways around needing established credit to get approved? Thank you!

Most Helpful
Highlighted

@HannahL, Thank you for reaching out with your questions. I will direct you to usaa.com at the top of our page there is an " Advice " tab. There are many articles that you can look through but one in particular should offer you some guidance. It is titled "How to build and improve your credit score". Here is a link to another article. https://bit.ly/3a6gnTV  Copy and paste into a new browser. I would invite you to take a look around. Lots of topics that will inform and set you up for success!  All the best! ~ Suzy (= 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES

Highlighted

@HannahL, Thank you for reaching out with your questions. I will direct you to usaa.com at the top of our page there is an " Advice " tab. There are many articles that you can look through but one in particular should offer you some guidance. It is titled "How to build and improve your credit score". Here is a link to another article. https://bit.ly/3a6gnTV  Copy and paste into a new browser. I would invite you to take a look around. Lots of topics that will inform and set you up for success!  All the best! ~ Suzy (= 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

The best way to build credit is to move these bills into your own name if possible, such as bills for auto insurance and cell phone.  Demonstrating responsible payment history will go a long way in helping you to build credit.  I also recommend applying for a credit card with a low limit - such as $500 - and then gradually raise the limit.  I don't know if you're employed or not, but almost all apartments will require proof of income for 3 months or verification that you can pay the rent in advance.  Be sure you have enough saved for a security deposit payment as well as one month's rent in advance.

Good luck!