Better Banking Options? Long-time member looking to transfer all accounts, insurance, credit cards, etc.

Highlighted
Contributor

This is the first time I have been on the community chat board, and unfortunately fellow members, I think we are talking to ourselves. I notice many long term members are as dissatisfied as I am about the changes to our once beloved USAA. I am looking for options. Do any of you have recommendations of where I can transfer my bank accounts, car insurance, and life insurance and credit cards? And oh yes, my three mutual funds--apparently they have already been transfered to Victory--the company that kept me on hold for almost on hour yesterday. 

1 REPLY

Highlighted

@KMMember, 

Banking - Depends on what you are looking for, if you are looking for an all in one, like USAA, brokerages like Fidelity and Schwab offer banking and brokerage in the same place for you. If you are looking for best rates, an online savings account from Ally or Marcus from Goldman Sachs typically are among the best in rates. Look at local credit unions for best loan rates and personal service, if that is what you are looking for.

Geico for car insurance, it saved me over $400 with a lower deductible for better coverage. 

Life insurance - ???, I went with a friend of mine that set me up with a division of Metlife called Brighthouse financial that was over $10 month cheaper than the USAA quote, with 100k more coverage. Whomever you go with, make sure they have the strength to pay out (Moody's rating, etc)

Investing - Can't go wrong with the big three (Vanguard, Schwab, Fidelity), they are all fighting one another and their costs are rock bottom for index funds, if you are a buy and hold, all three can work, if you are more active, I would stay away from Vanguard as that is not their forte. 

Hope this helps and good luck. Remember, Schwab is taking over for USAA members next year, so it might be worth it to just stick it out and see how the change happens. You can always slice and dice as well, get investments in one place, insurance in another, etc....