JordanCS
Contributor

I've been a USAA member for coming up on 20 years, and I have always been pleased with their service, so this is an outlier for me, but still very frustrating.  I've been using Apple Pay with my iPhone 6 since USAA support rolled out in November.  I also bought a new car last week, and when I was on the phone with USAA to update my auto policy, they asked what carrier my cell phone was on.  I provided that info to them and then continued talking about the insurance.  Well, that bit of into constitutes an 'update to your cell phone number.'  

Yesterday I restored my iPhone, since it was having a few issues and I wanted a clean slate - when trying to add back my USAA cards, I get a 'that phone number is too new' for text confirmation.  After talking with USAA on the phone, apparently the addition of which carrier my phone was on means they now need to do a full 'verification' of the phone number, which will take 4-6 weeks before I can use Apple Pay again.  This is utterly absurd.  The number is identical and hasn't changed in 9 years.  I can log into my USAA account on the app (to even get to the 'text me a confirmation code' part), and provide any other information, but none of that is good enough: a service that I've been using for 6 months (and that I use all the time) is now unavailable for over a month because they need to 'verify' against fraud.  What fraud could I possibly be committing with the same phone number, the same PHONE, the same account and multiple verification steps.  

WHY is this the only way to verify?  

21 REPLIES

Hi Jordan,

I am not an expert on ApplyPay, so I have passed your question along, and will update when I receive an answer. Thank you for posting here in the community

This same thing just happened to me. 

WORDAROUND: 

Turn on cybercode app in your profile, make sure to check the box at the bottom for extra security measures. download the app add the verification to your account which then makes your password to login online your pin + the code generated. 

now u can add the card to apple pay. call the number it ask u to in passbook enter your usaa number, then pin, then the new 6 dig code the app generated.

bam your now activated! no 30 day wait! 

WORDAROUND: 

Turn on cybercode app in your profile, make sure to check the box at the bottom for extra security measures. download the app add the verification to your account which then makes your password to login online your pin + the code generated. 

now u can add the card to apple pay. call the number it ask u to in passbook enter your usaa number, then pin, then the new 6 dig code the app generated.

bam your now activated! no 30 day wait! 

Jordan,

I had the same problem you did a while back ago. Had to wait two months to re-verify according to the rep on the phone. All of this because I had to disconnect my Apple ID and it erased my Apple Pay cards. I was also having problems with USAA sending text messages to my phone, so I updated my carrier in my profile and the rep said since I did that I had to wait. NOW, I had to reset my phone completely a few days ago and once again my phone is not getting text messages from USAA so I can't verify my phone to get my card set up in Apple Pay. I swear, this doesn't have to be so difficult. I never have this problem with Capital One verifying my cards for Apple Pay.

Hi Josh,

I have reached out to our apple pay expert to see if there is something that can be done about the long wait time you are experiencing. Thank you.

I am experiencing the same issue with my account where I cannot verify Apple Pay. I tried the workaround another user posted to no avail. I was wondering if contacting the Apple Pay person yielded any information?

Thanks for commenting nacket, I am still waiting on a potential solution! Thank you for your patience!

Same problem here!  I don't understand why it takes 4-6 weeks just for phone numbers to update.  It's very frustrating for both my mom and I who is also having the problem.  No other companies I know of has the same problem.  This really should be fixed.