Hello, 

I recently saw the youth banking stuff was adding to USAA and was excited to set my son up with an account so he can start learning to budget his own money and use his own card. 

The entire thing has been terrible. 

The process is all done online automated through the system.. if the documents are not correct there was no options to change them or try to get them changed. One address was off so I wanted to update it.. and it was a giant run around when trying to do so... 

I ended up just letting the automated system create the account with one document that needed to be updated later... It did create the joint account and issue a card for my son.  

However... 

He was unable to setup a login for the app or site...

Would not recognize his social to setup a new account... -Contact customer service to get his usaa number.. 

Then it would not allow him to creat a login in the system with his usaa number - contact customer service again to get help.. after bouncing around end up having IT setup his account manually.. 

Still cannot login.. eventually learn the automated system did not populate his fields with phone number or email.. so there is no way for the system to send confirmation for security but no error told us this and there is no way for us to update this as the customer.. 

Customer service adds these fields... Still does not work.. after several attempts.. IT said it could take some time for the sytem to refresh..

wait till the next day.. 

He can log in the next day, but cannot see any account information.. I have him contact customer support... who eventually tells him that because of parental controls he cannot view anything... I have him ask where the menu is for me to fix that.. Customer support refuses to say because it has to be done on my profile not his.. I explain I don't want changes just the menu location... nope will not help or point us in the right direction... I offer to verify my ID on his chat... nope.. 

I login to my profile and contact customer support.... they direct me to the menu.... He can then finally see things in the app. Finally everythign is working... although there was nothing I saw anytime in the process that said I needed to change parental controls so he can view accounts until we contacted customer service and had been told... 

Then attempt to setup his debit card on his phone for apple pay. It says he has to call to confirm.. 

He attempts to call to confirm... It does not show his email or phone information... transfers him to another department.. who basically explains that debit cards must be done through the app and only credit cards can be done over the phone... (which nothing stated prior again) I asked why we had been told there was an email error and not a type of card error? (This customer service person was extremely rude and constantly talking down to me and over me when I was trying to explain things) 

Then I was told that because WE updated his email or phone it couldn't be used for any banking related things for security reasons... 

I tried several times to explain what happened and was told rudely it didn't matter... 

So basically.. the automated system never put the info in... and then usaa manually fixed it.. but it counted as an update.. so we have been told he cannot authorize his card for applepay for 30 days. 

This entire process has been frustrating and terrible.. prob the worst banking experience I have had with something that should be a very simple process. Generally USAA is great in my opinion, but this was just the worst. I had people who wanted to know how the youth banking worked out when I was done and I haven't a clue what to tell them..

The login stuff and run around is just terrible for a bank that basically has no phsyical branches and not way to help us smooth out the process when we had problems. 

In all honestly.. I am going to go down to my local credit union and set him up with an account next week and close these at this point.. I want to forget we ever tried to do this. I hope someone takes a look at this and reviews the process or tests it out better to make sure no one else has this type of problem trying to use the services. 

6 REPLIES

Also I wanted to email this to someone so they might review the process and was told there is no email to do this.. then directed to make a post here in the community section as the best course of action. .. 

Hello @Cthulhu23. Thanks so much for weighing in on this with your feedback. I will be happy to share your concerns with our development teams. Please note, due to the volume of feedback received from members we are unable to notify each member individually if an idea or comment results in a direct change; however your concerns for the Youth Banking accounts have been shared. ~Sarah  

Run!! Go to a real bank. USAA just put the first hold ever in 26+ years on my account. I had no money yesterday to buy food for my children for Thanksgiving. USAA does not care. They're holding my money. No idea when it will be given back to me. Meanwhile they're returning payments and bouncing checks hurting me with all my other banks and creditors too!! Run.

@CodyS32, we've received your concerns about the hold on your account. I understand this placed a financial hardship on you and your family. Your concerns are important to us and have been sent to the appropriate team for further review. Thank you. - Rhonda 

Rhonda - The "appropriate team" will review the situation and NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.  The only thing that will happen is that the CEO will have a really big smile on his face when he sees this year's bonus.  In reality, he should resign in disgrace as to what he has done to this once proud company.

Bigbb,

You are so correct.