RickBRhod
Contributor

So USAA, after 24 years of loyal patronage to you and your brand you have decided to drop me and my wife from your auto insurance.  Not because of my outstanding driving record or that of my wife, but rather because we are letting our 22 year old daughter reside with us in between her own residence and because she has a bad driving record.  I will admit, I don't want her on my insurance.  That is why, as an adult, she has her own car in her name and her own insurance.  That is why her mother and I made her get her own insurance.  She pays heavily for that.  However, you say because she lives in my home she must be on mine and because of that you drop us.  So a warning to all families out there helping your adult children temporarily, Don't do it.  It is discouraged by USAA and if your child has a bad driving record it will reflect directly on you no matter how much you separate your transportation and insurance.  Regretably leaving USAA insurance.

Tags (1)

6 REPLIES

RickBRhod,

Thank you for over 24 years of membership, and please know that we do not want to lose you.  I'd like to have your concerns reviewed further regarding your policy.  I’ve escalated your situation to a subject matter expert who will be reaching out to you to address your concerns.  Please allow 1-2 business days for contact. Thanks~Mike        

This is the USAA under Stuart Parker's leadership.  Common sense does not rule and NO ONE can override the computer.  Shop around.  You can do much better than USAA.  I left after 40 years.

Unfortunately,  the majority of insurance companies if not all of them do this.  They assume because someone lives at your residence they will be driving your vehicle at some point in time. 

@RickBRhod     I don't know what state you live in, but our adult daughter lives with us.  She owns her own car and has her own insurance (it is with USAA).     We are NOT required to have her on our insurance.   In fact the minute she owned her own car, it was a requirement of USAA that she get her own insurance.  She has lived with us twice as an adult and both times she owned her own car, had her own insurance, and she was not on our insurance.     We live in the state of Illinois. 

Also as we all know, any of us can allow someone (nonmember of our household) to drive one of our cars and there be an unfortunate accident.   This is why we have insurance. 

Ditto

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I pray God blesses you and your family.